Local Variables vs. Instance Variables inside breakpointer

Hi,

I have a quick question about breakpoints. I am testing a class method inside a model in development mode and when I get to the breakpoint, I can't seem to inspect any of the local variables inside the method. Here is what the code looks like:

class User    self.register(params,options)       @user = User.new(params[:user])       user = User.new(params[:user])       if options         # do stuff         breakpoint       else         # do other stuff       end    end end

I can inspect the instance variable just fine, but if I try to inspect the 'user' local variable or params or options I get the following exception: ameError: undefined local variable or method `user' for User:Class         from (druby://localhost:42531) /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.14.4/lib/active_record/base.rb:1129:in `method_missing'         from (druby://localhost:42531) (irb):1:in `breakpoint'

I noticed the same thing happens in unit tests as well. Any ideas?

I am using rails 1.1.6 and ruby 1.8.5

Thanks, Curtis

I worked around this by upgrading to using ruby-debug within my rails app. It's quite nice for someone who likes gdb! Still wondering why breakpoint didn't happen to work otherwise though.

I am experiencing the same issue as you, I can see instance but not local variables. However, it only acts this way on two different machines. On one machine with Rails installed via the Gem install I CAN see local variables but on another machine with a Rails install done via the SysAdmin(s) I can NOT see local variables (one could almost imagine the situation being reversed - a custom install of Rails *would* have local variable visibility because it might be the version you ended up using - ruby-debug). But this isnt the case.

Did you make any further progress on this w/o having to resort to ruby-debug?

thanks.

breakpoint(er) relies on Binding.of_caller which was broken by Ruby 1.8.5. Without this method, there's no (easy, fast) way to access the local variables of the caller.

Michael