link_to_remote with href option - syntax help needed

Hi

I'm using link_to_remote, in a page that (as usual) needs to work for non-js enabled browsers.

According to the API -(http://www.railsbrain.com/api/rails-2.0.2/doc/index.html?a=M001827&name=link_to_remote), i can pass an href option which points to a url which is called in the non-js version.

In this case, i want the ajax call *and* the normal html link to go to the same controller and the same action: "selections/create?resource_id=x".

My problem is that i'm using restful routes and can't seem to work out the syntax. Here's what i *thought* it should be:

link_to_remote image_tag("/images/v4/basket.gif", :alt => "Add to basket"),   { :url => selections_path(:resource_id => resource.id), :method => :post }, :href => url_for( :controller => "selections", :action => "create", :resource_id => resource.id )

This works in the js case: the restful route of calling selections_path with a POST request sends me to selections/create.

But the href option doesn't work properly: it calls "selections/index?resource_id=x"

Can i pass a restful route through to href as well? I've tried various arrangements but it keeps breaking because of bad syntax. I have a feeling that if i'm using a restful route helper i can drop url_for and just point href at the helper but i can't work the syntax out for that either.

Can anyone help? thanks max

The :url syntax seems to be correct. BTW, href doesn't support RESTful create action since create need to be POST.

I'm using link_to_remote, in a page that (as usual) needs to work for non-js enabled browsers.

You could play with format.html. That should be called when JS is not enabled. something like...

format.html { redirect_to(resources_path) }

?

Vapor .. wrote:

You could play with format.html. That should be called when JS is not enabled. something like...

format.html { redirect_to(resources_path) }

?

Hi Vapor

I have my formats set up fine, like you suggest: the problem is that it doesn't reach them because it gets sent to the wrong controller action (index instead of create) in the html case.

All i need is a link that sends an ajax request *or* an html request to the same action and the same controller, depending on whether the user has js enabled. This must be a very common requirement for any site, which is why i'm going so crazy trying to work it out :frowning:

Hi Ashchan

The :url syntax seems to be correct.

hmmmm....in that case, can you see any other reason why it might request the index action instead of the create action.

BTW, href doesn't support RESTful create action since create need to be POST.

I wasn't sure about href, that's why i explicity passed through the controller and action. It just seems to ignore the action though. I have a feeling this is just to do with arranging my {}s and () properly...

Try specifically setting :html => {:url => ...}

I'm not being RESTful, but this is working for me:

(link_to_remote '«prev',   :url => {:action => 'change_month', :month => @date.last_month.month, :year => @date.last_month.year},   :html => {:href => url_for(:month => @date.last_month.month, :year => @date.last_month.year), :class => "otherMonthLink"})

Sorry that the lines are so long!

-Kyle