link_to nesting

Hello, I've just started using RoR this month, and am building a web app to help me learn the framework and the ruby language.

I have a basic and hopefully straightforward question for you guys, since I can't seem to find the answer on the internet or in my copy of agile. I thought I posted this same question here yesterday but now couldn't find it, and was told that I'm not even in the group?? If someone remembers seeing a similar question, please do tell, I feel like it's not here, but I hate it when people re-post questions so I hope I'm not doing the same.

I have <div> tags with nested text setup in the page acting as buttons. I would like to use these buttons with link_to and link_to_remote. I haven't yet figured out a way to get the generated anchor tags to nest other page elements inside. Now I have the buttons, but I have to click the text to get the link to work rather than having the whole div and everything in it act as a link.

html tags: <div class="button">   Button </div>

I'm doing this now:

<div class="button"> <%= link_to_remote 'Button',       :url => { :action => 'add', :id => person },       :update => 'added_people'%> </div>

which of course generates something like <div class="button>    <a... </div>

and I want

<a .... <div.. /div> </a>

Any suggestions?

RoaR_lion wrote:

Hello, I've just started using RoR this month, and am building a web app to help me learn the framework and the ruby language.

I have a basic and hopefully straightforward question for you guys, since I can't seem to find the answer on the internet or in my copy of agile. I thought I posted this same question here yesterday but now couldn't find it, and was told that I'm not even in the group?? If someone remembers seeing a similar question, please do tell, I feel like it's not here, but I hate it when people re-post questions so I hope I'm not doing the same.

I have <div> tags with nested text setup in the page acting as buttons. I would like to use these buttons with link_to and link_to_remote. I haven't yet figured out a way to get the generated anchor tags to nest other page elements inside. Now I have the buttons, but I have to click the text to get the link to work rather than having the whole div and everything in it act as a link.

html tags: <div class="button">   Button </div>

I'm doing this now:

<div class="button"> <%= link_to_remote 'Button',       :url => { :action => 'add', :id => person },       :update => 'added_people'%> </div>

which of course generates something like <div class="button>    <a... </div>

and I want

<a .... <div.. /div> </a>

Any suggestions?

I haven't tried this myself, but....

How about a helper. If you define a helper such as.

def build_button(label)     content_tag(:div, "some stuff inside the button, such as #{label}", :class => :button) end

Then in your view, call <%= link_to_remote build_button('Add'), :url => etc. etc. etc %>

Thanks Jon,

I'm going to keep what I have for now because I'm not sure exactly how the final version will look, but I'll keep your suggestion in mind.

Thanks again.