A rails app I wrote for a client needs a new hosting company.
Currently it's being served by textdrive under the $15 shared hosting
plan. However, we're running into some problems with the setup and
the client wants us to use a dedicated machine.
- The biggest problem we're experiencing is the production server has
been crashing at least once a week since March. This is main thing
that's upsetting me and the client. I'm pretty sure it's not us as
all of our exceptions are being handled.
- The client always intended this application to be run on a dedicate
machine. Currently, the app doesn't have any performance problems and
it's an internal site so it's not going to be slash-dotted anytime
soon. But still, they want to peace of mind to know that the site has
plenty of room for growth.
- Also, I want to use a mongrel_cluster based deployment. Textdrive
uses lighttpd, which has been okay. But I'm more familiar with
mongrel and it seems quite fast for our needs.
- My client also wants this machine to run a few static and PHP driven
sites. Shouldn't be a problem with apache though.
- The client also wants the machine to run a mail server. This is
where my experience drops off a bit. A few people in my company have
suggested I use plesk or some other web-gui tool to configure this.
Given these requirements, can anyone suggest some hosting companies to