Let’s make Ruby app servers & operations better! With your feedback

Hi everyone,

I am Hongli Lai, developer of the Phusion Passenger app server. We think the state of Ruby application delivery & operations can be made easier, faster, more reliable, and better. So we’ve embarked on a mission to do precisely just this (and to improve Passenger too).

But we can’t do it without your help. Please give us your feedback. Don’t worry, it will take less than 5 minutes.

https://phusion.typeform.com/to/Nih9Un

We are looking forward to hear from you!

Best regards,

Hongli Lai CTO at Phusion

My Rule of Surveys is "happy to help until I get to a poorly crafted question that I can't answer" which in this case was something like "what app server do you use?" which only allows a single answer.

Nope.

Sorry about that Hassan. I can't change it to multiple selections anymore because people have already filled in the survey. But that question is meant to ask what your *main* app server is. If you really have multiple ones that are just as important, then you could select "Other" and simply fill in all possibilities.

Does this address your concern?

Not really. One bad question means there are probably more, and essentially you'll be getting what you asked for, NOT what you need to know.

My point is that writing actually useful survey questions is non-trivial, and one of the major problems is writing them from the surveyor's, rather than surveyee's, perspective.

You care deeply about *the* app server because that's your focus, and that's understandable. For people working with complex legacy codebases and infrastructure, things are rarely so cut-and-dried.

And to be honest "application delivery and operations" is a serious pain point for me right now for reasons :grinning: but I don't see the specific app servers in use being a significant part of that.

Regardless, best of luck,