jQuery.post gets some code but the code isn't evaluated

I'm calling one of my controller actions with this remote call:

jQuery.post("/plans/<%= @plan.id %>/add_learning_objective?name=" + objective_name)

The action does its stuff and then falls through to a .js.rjs file that has this code:

page.alert("in rjs file") page.replace_html "learning_objectives", :partial => "test"

Then, nothing happens. In the firebug console, i can see that the result of the post call is this:

try {

alert("in rjs file");

jQuery("#learning_objectives").html("NEW STUFF\n");

} catch (e) { alert('RJS error:\n\n' + e.toString()); alert('alert(\"in rjs file\");\njQuery(\"#learning_objectives

\").html(\"NEW STUFF\\n\");'); throw e }

But, it looks like this code is being generated but not actually run: if i run the contents of the try block in the console then it does what it's supposed to do. Can anyone explain what's going on here?

thanks max

jQuery.post("/plans/<%= @plan.id %>/add_learning_objective?name=" + objective_name)

You need to specify the type option as "script" to have it executed. (See the docs for jQuery.ajax(), where it is the dataType option. The "type" option in $.post is passed to $.ajax as the dataType option)

Rein

You need to specify the type option as "script" to have it executed. (See the docs for jQuery.ajax(), where it is the dataType option. The "type" option in $.post is passed to $.ajax as the dataType option)

Rein

Thanks Rein, that was exactly it: using .ajax instead of .post worked perfectly:

//doesn't evaluate the response, ie doesn't run the javascript in my .js.rjs file jQuery.post("/plans/<%= @plan.id %>/add_learning_objective?name=" + objective_name);

//this works jQuery.ajax({   type: "POST",   url: ("/plans/<%= @plan.id %>/add_learning_objective?name=" + objective_name),   dataType: "script" })

Thanks again max