Jedit + plugin ruby/rails + RVM

Hi there,

In my long journey trying to find a comfortable IDE for Ruby on Rails on Ubuntu, I found this tutorial to set up jedit : http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Jedit-for-Rails

It looks fine for the moment but I have one slight problem with the console plugin : it can't find RVM. Consequently it can't find any rails version and I can't run any ruby scripts or rake commands. RVM works properly in a usual terminal of course.

rvm -v doesn't work (unknown) but anything else like firefox -v does. So I guess the console plugin simply doesn't load RVM when it starts.

Could anyone help me fix this ?

Thanks, Lily

Lily :slight_smile: wrote in post #966991:

Hi there,

In my long journey trying to find a comfortable IDE for Ruby on Rails on Ubuntu, I found this tutorial to set up jedit : http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Jedit-for-Rails

I've switched away from jEdit to KomodoEdit. I highly recommend that you do likewise.

That said, check out http://marnen.livejournal.com/23723.html

It looks fine for the moment but I have one slight problem with the console plugin : it can't find RVM. Consequently it can't find any rails version and I can't run any ruby scripts or rake commands. RVM works properly in a usual terminal of course.

rvm -v doesn't work (unknown) but anything else like firefox -v does. So I guess the console plugin simply doesn't load RVM when it starts.

Could anyone help me fix this ?

Why on earth do you want a console window in your editor? I don't understand why people do that to themselves. :slight_smile:

Anyway, where did you put your RVM stuff? In .profile or .bash_profile? Or .zshrc? Or where? There should be some way to tell the console plugin which shell and/or profile to use...

...but that question is probably better taken to a jEdit forum.

Thanks, Lily

Best,

I don't know KomodoEdit. I'll take a look if Jedit prooves to not be enought for me but for the moment, it's the best I found. What's more, a Google quick search shows some people struggle making rvm and KomodoEdit work together. And I need RVM.

The console in the editor is rather a classic isn't it ? Aptana Studio has it in Radrails for instance. In other languages, you always have your console debug in your IDE... It's just very convenient to be able to run a script from the editor instead of switching windows all the time. It's not absolutely necessary, but it's convenient.

For RVM, I configured the .bash_profile file.

Lily :slight_smile: wrote in post #967015:

I don't know KomodoEdit. I'll take a look if Jedit prooves to not be enought for me but for the moment, it's the best I found. What's more, a Google quick search shows some people struggle making rvm and KomodoEdit work together.

Work together how?

And I need RVM.

I use both RVM and KomodoEdit.

The console in the editor is rather a classic isn't it ?

Not for me.

Aptana Studio has it in Radrails for instance.

IIRC from the last time I used Aptana, on Mac OS, that simply opens Terminal.app, rather than an in-editor console.

In other languages, you always have your console debug in your IDE...

I don't use an IDE for Rails. I just use a good project-aware editor.

I don't want my console debugger in my editor. If my editor is going to integrate with my debugger, I want a visual debugger.

Basically, I want the editor to do nothing at all with the console except give me build progress (and that's not an issue in Ruby).

It's just very convenient to be able to run a script from the editor instead of switching windows all the time. It's not absolutely necessary, but it's convenient.

I don't find it convenient at all. It should be in theory, but I've never found an editor that has a shell that I like.

For RVM, I configured the .bash_profile file.

OK. Then you just need to figure out how to get jEdit's Console to load it.

Best,

Lily :slight_smile: wrote in post #967015:

I don't know KomodoEdit. I'll take a look if Jedit prooves to not be enought for me but for the moment, it's the best I found.

KomodoEdit is far nicer than jEdit. Check it out!

Best,

Well, it's not exactly the kind of solution I was waiting for.

If anyone has a clue about my problem, please don't hesitate.