Issue in installing Rail

hi there! i have been trying to set up Rail env on my work local machine[windows xp]. Ruby got installed, but when i try step:

gem install rails --remote

It gives me an error,

ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::RemoteFetcher::FetchError)     Bad file descriptor - connect(2)(Errno::EBADF)

I tried searching on internet and found people talking abt several things, 1) mysql port issue 2) proxy restrictions 3) dont use webrick, instead use mongreal.

Can someone please tell me how do i fix this issue and get stated with some code on ruby. And also is there any better tool/framework version which I am missing to use.

-N

Mekhiya wrote:

hi there! i have been trying to set up Rail env on my work local machine[windows xp]. Ruby got installed, but when i try step:

gem install rails --remote

It gives me an error,

ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::RemoteFetcher::FetchError)     Bad file descriptor - connect(2)(Errno::EBADF)

I tried searching on internet and found people talking abt several things, 1) mysql port issue 2) proxy restrictions 3) dont use webrick, instead use mongreal.   

It seems that the problem is likely to be #2 since you are not being able to install the Rails gems. If this is just a development platform to play with Rails, try to get InstantRails. It's a 1-package, no modifications required package that just works. Note that it is a big download.

Otherwise, do a search on how to manage the proxy issue - I haven't used it, so I don't remember. Cheers Mohit.