Is Rails Scaffolding Production Ready

Is scaffolding in Rails production ready? I’ve read a few opinions on this, but most were referring to the original style of scaffolding found in rails.

Because scaffolding now creates the controller, models, views for me is there anything I need to watch out for when trying to build upon this to arrive at a production-ready product?

Thanks for the help.

Chas

I'm not the best person to answer this, but I would caution you to "be careful" nonetheless. Sometimes it is better to put in the work in order to understand exactly how things are pieced together.

Just my thoughts.

When one of my users asks for a new "feature" that involves a new model and all the trimmings, I routinely scaffold up the prototype, do as little code as I can to make it fit in with the application, then bring them in for a test drive on my dev machine.

The scaffolded layouts don't match the app, and there's no styling, but it assures that I interpreted their concept correctly.

Then it's time to perform surgery on all the scaffolded code and meld the new bits into the production application.

Sooo, I wouldn't say that raw scaffolded code is production ready, but it is certainly a fast track for prototyping.

That's actually a fantastic way of looking at it.

Thank you, that’s what I was looking for.