Are scaffold questions taboo for this list?

In the past few months, I've posted several questions to this list regarding the rail scaffold generator, and how it works. None of the posting have received even one reply. Considering the caliber of the talent that lurks here, and the quality of the replies to other post, I don't think it's because no one understands the subject matter.

So, now I'm wondering: is these the wrong venue for scaffolding questions? Is there a better one? Is scaffolding just something that one does not discuss in polite company?

A resonse would be greatly appreciated. ( at least to let me know that the message was read by someone :slight_smile:

Larry Kelly wrote:

In the past few months, I've posted several questions to this list regarding the rail scaffold generator, and how it works. None of the posting have received even one reply. Considering the caliber of the talent that lurks here, and the quality of the replies to other post, I don't think it's because no one understands the subject matter.

So, now I'm wondering: is these the wrong venue for scaffolding questions? Is there a better one? Is scaffolding just something that one does not discuss in polite company?

A resonse would be greatly appreciated. ( at least to let me know that the message was read by someone :slight_smile:    I think I've seen responses to questions about scaffold here.. maybe, people were just busy :-S Anyway, keep trying - this is a great place to ask :slight_smile: Cheers Mohit.

Larry,

Don't feel bad...everyone has had posts that didn't receive a reply. I don't know if it has to do with you post subject, or the content of the posts, or some bias against scaffolds. All I can say is keep trying and you will probably get responses.

Nathan

It's a super high traffic list, with a lot of noise. Plus, I'd be willing to bet that not that many people actually use scaffolds for real work anyway. They're a neat idea, and a good teaching tool, but the views they generate are basically unusable and are going to be customized anyway.

I normally only use the generator for models, migrations and controllers.

-- James

I'll second that. When I first started learning Rails, I went, "OMG these scaffold things are sweet!" But in practice, it's usually better to build your own code rather than trying to modify what the scaffold will give you. But generators are useful for the "shells" of controllers and models.

JDL wrote:

Larry,

I'm not against using scaffolds at all for the stuff behind the
counter. Have you ever seen the part of the airport after you put
your bag on the belt? It's kinda scary, but the bag usually makes it
onto your plane.

If you need a quick interface to something the public won't use,
what's wrong with using scaffolds?

I agree that they aren't as useful for the public side of a site,
because there's usually better ways to create interfaces.

-Anthony

Thanks for the replies, and encouragement. I'll keep trying. If I understood plugins better, I would probably use them intstead of messing with scaffolding. But, right now, modifying the scaffold generator to output controllers, models, and views in a certain manner can save me a lot of repetitive typing, and allow me to prototype something for the client. The result can be used , either, as is, or as a basis for getting closer to what the client really wants.

For example, I'm currently modifying the scaffold generator to output Markaby files instead of .rhtml, and insert audit-columns wrapped in the correct permission matrix. -Larry

Echoing Anthony, I'd say that in my job, the generated scaffold is sometimes almost all that's needed. Streamlined is especially close to "good enough as is."

Now, if you're making a website where appearance and flow and user experience are primary, then scaffolds are a good teaching tool, and that's about all.

However, I also have considered writing my own scaffolding, because with just a few tweaks, they'd could be generated very nearly ready for release on our intranet. I might even prefer to adapt the generator and re-scaffold rather than tweak all the components. Any chance you might make a tutorial on the subject? It looks like you'll soon be the expert.

Ron

Larry Kelly wrote:

I don't think the problem is that you're discussing scaffolding, per se. I think the problem is that you're discussing the internal workings of Rails. A lot of the people on this group aren't really concerned with that.

Also, a lot of your posts are related to Markaby, which I don't think is very commonly used. Even though your questions about the scaffold generator aren't Markaby-specific, framing the questions with an intro about Markaby is probably going to turn people off of what was already going to be a low readership anyway.

I've just replied to your scaffold_generator questions, but in future it might be coming up with a subject like "Questions about scaffold generator internals", which would attract the right people, rather than "understanding scaffolding", which makes it sound as if you are asking a question about *using* scaffolding.

Chris

I hardly consider myself an 'expert', but I'd be willing to write a tutorial once I understand a little more about scaffolding. It would be more along the lines of 'this is what I did', rather than 'This is how its done'. -Larry