Is Rails in decline?

Hi,

I was doing Rails and was hired away to do .NET. I'm wondering what the state of Ruby/Rails is? I've heard it is in decline...

I'm asking because I want to build an app in my spare time. It would make more sense to do it in C# because I could leverage what I know. But Rails was my first love...I prefer to work in it. I just don't want to spend time on something that people aren't interested in anymore...

Do people have a sense of the demand/interest/support level that Ruby and Rails has?

Thanks,

Ron

Hi,

I was doing Rails and was hired away to do .NET. I'm wondering what the state of Ruby/Rails is? I've heard it is in decline...

Railsconf certainly seemed healthy, a fair chunk of people new to rails (and plenty of more experienced people too).

Fred

If you want to build something in your spare time, why would you use anything you didn't love?

There are plenty of people/companies working with Rails. The fact that it is in decline *for you* (you let yourself be hired away after all) doesn't mean that the industry is being lured away from the power and expressiveness of Ruby (and Rails) so easily.

-Rob

Rob Biedenharn http://agileconsultingllc.com Rob@AgileConsultingLLC.com

I don't think RoR is in decline. Here in silicon valley, RoR is gaining foothold with startup companies. Java and C++ are traditionally favored by big corporations.