Installing sqlite3 gem on Windows

Hi,

I'm new to Rails (and fairly new to Ruby) and am attempting to follow the tutorial at http://guides.rubyonrails.org/getting_started_with_rails.html

In that guide I'm stuck at 4.1 - I can launch the server fine and the 'welcome aboard' page appears as normal; however when I go to home/index I get an error page like the following:

MissingSourceFile in HomeController#index no such file to load -- sqlite3 This error occurred while loading the following files:   sqlite3

I've attempted to install the sqlite3-ruby gem but get this error:

D:\...\blog>gem install sqlite3-ruby Building native extensions. This could take a while... ERROR: Error installing sqlite3-ruby:         ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

D:/ruby/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb install sqlite3-ruby checking for fdatasync() in rt.lib... no checking for sqlite3.h... no

nmake 'nmake' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Gem files will remain installed in D:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/sqlite3-ruby-1.2.4 for inspection. Results logged to D:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/sqlite3-ruby-1.2.4/ext/sqlite3_api/gem_make.out

When I run 'gem list' sqlite3 comes up but I still receive this error. My version information is as follows:

D:\...\blog>ruby -v ruby 1.8.6 (2007-09-24 patchlevel 111) [i386-mswin32] (installed via one-click installer w/scite, fxri etc.)

D:\...\blog>rails -v Rails 2.2.2 (installed via gem)

I'm really interested in learning to use Rails and am grateful for any feedback and support.

Thanks, Ross

You need to install sqlite3 before you can install sqlite3-ruby. See: http://www.sqlite.org/ for download and install instructions.

Version 1.2.4 of sqlite3-ruby require build environment to be installed and set, and I think it requires old version of Visual Studio (6.0). If you want to install sqlite3-ruby gem try with:

gem install sqlite3-ruby -v 1.2.3

This will install version 1.2.3 which already has Win32 binaries. In addition you must set your PATH environment variable to include folder where you save sqlite3.dll.