installing rvm in home directory or system-wide?

Is there any advantages of installing rvm system-wide as opposed to just in the home directory of a user?

I hope you have gone through this : https://rvm.io/rvm/install . System wide RVM will let you use the same installation for all users on the system. But I’ve seen many junior devs screw up their dev environment by trying a system wide RVM installation but didn’t follow the instructions correctly. Single user installations look safer and less error prone to me. I like to have Single User RVM installations on my systems because I am more comfortable when I’m not sudo-ing too often :slight_smile:

You shouldn’t be using sudo even with system-wide installs-- add yourself to the rvm group!

I install single-user on my dev machine(s), but on my servers I always install system-wide and use a bundle deployment for my apps.

Kyle

Emil S. wrote in post #1115716:

I hope you have gone through this : RVM: Ruby Version Manager - Installing RVM . System wide RVM will let you use the same installation for all users on the system. But I've seen many junior devs screw up their dev environment by trying a system wide RVM installation but didn't follow the instructions correctly. Single user installations look safer and less error prone to me. I like to have Single User RVM installations on my systems because I am more comfortable when I'm not sudo-ing too often :slight_smile:

I agree. Dev environments can be a very personal thing. For example I prefer rbenv over RVM.

That being said, if you're the only user of the dev machine then I see no advantage of a system-wide install at all. Plus, I wouldn't want to have to deal with another developer coming along and screwing up my dev environment.