Which install method for rvm on production server?

Hi,

I read a lot of stuff about rvm so I want to use it on my production server, but which installation method should I use? site-wide?

Thanks for your advice

Hi,

I read a lot of stuff about rvm so I want to use it on my production server, but which installation method should I use? site-wide?

I use a system wide deployment ( http://rvm.beginrescueend.com/deployment/best-practices/ )

Fred

I was thinking to do the same with an upcoming deployment. Does anyone have experience on this to point out possible downsides?

I use a system wide deployment ( http://rvm.beginrescueend.com/deployment/best-practices/ )

Fred

Thank you Fred, I had missed that page.

By the way I read that it is suggested to use a different user per application. Therefore, is there a "general rails deployment best practices" somewhere? I might be missing other useful tips.

> I use a system wide deployment ( >http://rvm.beginrescueend.com/deployment/best-practices/ > )

> Fred

Thank you Fred, I had missed that page.

By the way I read that it is suggested to use a different user per application. Therefore, is there a "general rails deployment best practices" somewhere? I might be missing other useful tips.

I tend to only have one application per server, so using a different user per app doesn't really apply. In principle it does sound like it would reduce the possibility of them interfering with each other, or security issues with one affecting other apps. Don't know of any general best practises document.

Fred

On my Leopard dev machine I have installed rvm+1.9.2 and everything seems fine, function, rubygems, environment, etc.

But when I want to install my first gem (hint: rails 3) I get the following error message:

$ gem install rails ERROR: While executing gem ... (Errno::EACCES)     Permission denied - /Users/fernando/.gem/specs

The ~/.gem directory belongs to root and seems to have been created on the day I reinstalled my system, so it probably belongs to the system's ruby. I see a similar directory ~/.subversion, with same ownership and date of creation, so I assume it was created by Leopard, or was it Macports?

Therefore can I safely chown ~/.gem, or should I destroy this directory and let rvm recreate a new one if needed?

Thanks

Fernando Perez wrote in post #979907:

$ gem install rails ERROR: While executing gem ... (Errno::EACCES)     Permission denied - /Users/fernando/.gem/specs

From what I have read here and there, it seems that this directory was chowned to root when I used evil "sudo gem install"

I delected the directory, and as expected rvm/rubygems recreated a new one with proper permission.

Fred

Ok, so on my FreeBSD box, the site system wide install script crapped out. No big deal I only need Ruby for my user that runs the application.

So I will use the "normal installation".

I will use Nginx+Passenger. So I install passenger as non root.

Then when I want to install nginx, I should do:

$ sudo passenger-install-nginx-module

which will install in /opt/nginx.

Should I use a non sudo location or stick with sudo for nginx?

$ sudo passenger-install-nginx-module

which will install in /opt/nginx.

Should I use a non sudo location or stick with sudo for nginx?

Argh! With rvm's normal installation I cannot use sudo.

Good, now I'm stuck.

use rvmsudo.

Jim ruther Nill wrote in post #981401:

use rvmsudo.

Thanks!

So far so good.

Just a last question.

I have my own script to remotely update and maintain my apps (I don't use capistrano and don't intend to do so). But when I want to remotely run "bundle install" it can't find it. It's certainly a PATH, profile, bashrc, etc problem.

So can someone show me a good resource that will clear that for me once and for all. I never know the difference between rc/profile, interactive login and what have you.

I'd like to get that out of the way because every so often I run into this problem and have to struggle to get things sorted out.

Hmmm, strange.

If I run rake remotely, the rake seems to be found but an error is raised:

uninitialized constant Bundler

Adding a .rvmrc to the project did not help, neither did "rvm 1.9.2 exec bundle install".

Ha!

Using ssh and "gem env", I discovered that rvm was not loaded. So it's definitely a bash_profile VS profile VS etc evil issue. God that's painful.

So when in a script I use:

ssh -t blabla 'bundle install'

what kind of shell is created? Which files are loaded? Why can't I get the same environment as when I manually connect through ssh?

This separation interactive/non-interactive is stupid to me, and unnecessarily complicates things.

This separation interactive/non-interactive is stupid to me, and unnecessarily complicates things.

Is that related to bash? What if I use a different shell?

Argh! I have sourced .profile from with .bashrc but it still doesn't work.

It seems that the following line is key and is not being loaded:

[[ -s "$HOME/.rvm/scripts/rvm" ]] && . "$HOME/.rvm/scripts/rvm"

I enabled PermitUserEnvironment for ssh and added GEM_PATH as well as PATH to ~/.ssh/environment, and still it had no effect at all. Frustrating.

this will be handy - thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

I found a solution! In the script, do something such as:

source ~/.rvm/scripts/rvm && bundle install

And it will work.

All in all, even if I had to endure a bit of trial and error, I really like the way rvm works and keeps things confined.

If one day my ruby and/or gems go South I can simply rm -r ~/.rvm and everything goes away so that I can start a fresh install in a breeze.