install Rails from terminal

I have been having trouble install Rails from the terminal on my new MacBook. I have tried to find a solution on both google and youtube, but I have not find a solution to the problem

$ rails -v Rails is not currently installed on this system. To get the latest version, simply type:

$ sudo gem install rails

You can then rerun your "rails" command.

$ sudo gem install rails Building native extensions. This could take a while... ERROR: Error installing rails:   ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/ruby extconf.rb mkmf.rb can't find header files for ruby at /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/ruby.h

Gem files will remain installed in /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/json-1.6.6 for inspection. Results logged to /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/json-1.6.6/ext/json/ext/generator/gem_make.out

hi,make sure that uve install ruby-dev package.

"hi,make sure that uve install ruby-dev package"

I have ruby installed on my computer already, gem as well just not rails. That is where I am having my problems at.

I might been having an issue with gems and where it is installed. I just tried install MYSQL and i got the same error message.

$ sudo env ARCHFLAGS="-arch x86_64" gem install mysql -- --with-mysql-config=/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql_config Fetching: mysql-2.8.1.gem (100%) Building native extensions. This could take a while... ERROR: Error installing mysql:   ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/ruby extconf.rb --with-mysql-config=/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql_config mkmf.rb can't find header files for ruby at /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/ruby.h

Gem files will remain installed in /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.8.1 for inspection. Results logged to /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.8.1/ext/mysql_api/gem_make.out

Read the suggestion more carefully, it says you need the package ruby-dev installed.

Colin

yes,its ruby-dev!!!make sure!!! ;O

Hello first of all remove ruby folder that u have install in ur system and follow the instruction from this link:

I have written this blog for ubuntu so that please make sure the command for ur mac system. after installing ruby in ur system follow the instruction for installing rails in ur system: http://railsapps.github.com/installing-rails.html

Is the issue fixed?