can't get rails gem

Hi, I'm brand new to rails, and I have a mac 10.7 that I bought today. I try the following:

joelrwesley$ sudo gem install rails Password: Building native extensions. This could take a while... ERROR: Error installing rails:   ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/ ruby extconf.rb mkmf.rb can't find header files for ruby at /System/Library/Frameworks/ Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/ruby.h

Gem files will remain installed in /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/ json-1.6.5 for inspection. Results logged to /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/json-1.6.5/ext/json/ext/ parser/gem_make.out joelrwesley$

Anybody have any ideas? Thanks, Joel

Hi, I'm brand new to rails, and I have a mac 10.7 that I bought today. I try the following:

joelrwesley$ sudo gem install rails Password: Building native extensions. This could take a while... ERROR: Error installing rails: ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

Have you installed Xcode (or at the very least apple's gve command line tools package)? You'll need that when installing gems with native extensions.

Fred

Thanks Fred. I downloaded the latest Xcode last night, turned the computer off for the night, and tried it again this morning. No go; same message. I'm also supposed to be able to write gcc -v to test the compiler from Xcode, but I'm getting an error on that also. I tried going into Xcode and starting a project, and it seems to be working. Xcode is now being distributed at the App store, instead of off of the disk. I wonder if that has something to do with it? I'm thinking of maybe trying to put it on my hard drive from the disk for the old Leopard from my old machine.

As for Apple's gve command line tools, package, I don't know what that is.

:slight_smile: native mac os’ ruby 1.8 - too old to waste your time if you want to practice in Rails.

Anyway this is your issue …. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/761521/when-i-try-sudo-gem-install-json-i-get-the-following-error

But today the only way to escape that insane stuff – to use rvm.

It’s pretty simple:

1. Install latest Xcode

2. Install rvm: http://beginrescueend.com/

3. Install rubies you want to.

4. Update gem --system

5. Install Rails version you want.

Just easy and safe.

Thank you for the advice, Valery. I tried that, and (I believe) followed the instructions at the rvm page. I say I *believe*, because these instructions always seem to lead to a number of things that one might reasonably try, though there's no clear notion of what one really should be doing.... argh. anyway, I got to the last instruction, which is to type rvm install 1.9.3, and I got the following:

joelrwesley$ rvm install 1.9.3 Fetching yaml-0.1.4.tar.gz to /Users/joelrwesley/.rvm/archives Extracting yaml-0.1.4.tar.gz to /Users/joelrwesley/.rvm/src Configuring yaml in /Users/joelrwesley/.rvm/src/yaml-0.1.4. Compiling yaml in /Users/joelrwesley/.rvm/src/yaml-0.1.4. Installing yaml to /Users/joelrwesley/.rvm/usr Installing Ruby from source to: /Users/joelrwesley/.rvm/rubies/ ruby-1.9.3-p125, this may take a while depending on your cpu(s)...

ruby-1.9.3-p125 - #fetching ruby-1.9.3-p125 - #extracted to /Users/joelrwesley/.rvm/src/ruby-1.9.3- p125 (already extracted) ruby-1.9.3-p125 - #configuring Error running ' ./configure --prefix=/Users/joelrwesley/.rvm/rubies/ ruby-1.9.3-p125 --enable-shared --disable-install-doc --with-libyaml -- with-opt-dir=/Users/joelrwesley/.rvm/usr ', please read /Users/ joelrwesley/.rvm/log/ruby-1.9.3-p125/configure.log There has been an error while running configure. Halting the installation. joelrwesley$

So I went in and read the log. Here's what it said:

joelrwesley$ emacs configure.log

[2012-02-26 11:39:47] ./configure --prefix=/Users/joelrwesley/.rvm/ rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p125 --enable-shared --disable-install-doc --with- libyaml --with-opt-dir=/Users/j\ oelrwesley/.rvm/usr configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --with-libyaml checking build system type... i386-apple-darwin11.3.0 checking host system type... i386-apple-darwin11.3.0 checking target system type... i386-apple-darwin11.3.0 checking whether the C compiler works... no configure: error: in `/Users/joelrwesley/.rvm/src/ruby-1.9.3-p125': configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables See `config.log' for more details

So apparently my C compiler doesn't work. Argh!

Thanks for any sympathy and advice, Joel

If anyone has been following this and has the same problem, the following tutorial was fantastic, and it fixed my problem: http://code.google.com/p/git-osx-installer/downloads/detail?name=git-1.7.9.1-intel-universal-snow-leopard.dmg&can=3&q=

whoops, wrong site: try this: