How to run a Ruby on Rails Project Locally

Hi,

I'm completely new to Ruby and I have a source code for a project that uses Ruby on Rails. All I need to do is run this project on my local server. I use Windows7. I tried to install Ruby on Rails and Redmine on Xampp using this link http://nlb-creations.com/2013/06/26/installing-ruby-on-rails-and-redmine-with-xampp-on-windows-7/ But I failed. I also tried several tutorials but non of them worked.

I have no idea what to do, I just need to know how to run this project. Please help me!!

My first advice would be to not use Windows. Use Linux (eg Ubuntu) or Mac. I understand rails development is possible in Windows but you may find it difficult to get help.

Colin

So you think its better if I try to run Ubunto on a virtual machine and then run Ruby on Rails?

Definitely, or dual boot the PC, then it becomes easier to move over to Ubuntu completely.

Use RVM to install rails.

If you intend to do any work in rails (as opposed to just running this app) then before you try to get this one going work right through a good tutorial such as railstutorial.org (which is free to use online). That will show you the basics of rails and should make getting the app up and running much easier.

Colin

Thank you Colin, I'll try to learn this.