How to make url helpers aware of ssl_requirement?

Hi,

I've been using the ssl_requirement plugin as it made the most sense to me from an architecture standpoint, where the controller that is doing the resource accessing declares where SSL is required or allowed. This works great in terms of ensure the ~final~ protocol is correct for that controller, but it doesn't tie into any of the URL helpers, so the original link is often to the wrong protocol and then there's a redirect.

A good example of this is a link on the home page (non-SSL) to the signup page (SSL). If you just did a link_to new_users_path then it would point to the non-SSL one; when clicked the users controller would see that it wasn't SSL protocol and redirect. While this functionally works it seems like a waste to make two server requests.

For the most common ones, such as the example, I've solved/hacked this by adding in :requirements =>{:protocol => ROUTES_SSL_PROTOCOL} to the route definition (rails 2.3.x style, ROUTES_SSL_PROTOCOL is set above so that I can easily turn it on/off for the development box). This works but it means to have all the right routes set I'd need to manually keep both that file and the ssl_ directives in the controller in sync. Being lazy and forgetful and liking things to be DRY, I'd prefer to just write it in one location (either would be fine really) and then have the other part figure it out.

I believe that doing this would not be too hard (I think it will boil down to alias chaining ActionController#url_for to read the info that ssl_required puts in there) but before I embarked down that road I wanted to see if there was an existing solution that solved this problem already? I poked around some and couldn't seem to find anything, but it also seemed odd that I'm the only person that would be a sad panda from this.

Thanks, \Peter