How to Disable Pluralization

Hi,

First, I am new at Ruby on Rails. When using scaffolding feature, rails pluralize some automatically generated files' names, like controller names, view names and helper names. What I want is to disable this pluralization. For example, I want the contoller name of model 'Post' to be 'post_controller.rb' instead of 'posts_controller.rb'.

Thanks.

You could just change the names of the files, but I think you’d also have to make changes elsewhere (e.g., routes.rb). Why go against the convention, though? Doing so will likely cause you more work and, at least initially, be slightly confusing to others who read your code.

Regards,

Craig

You can rewrite the inflections using ActiveSupport::Inflector.inflections (http://api.rubyonrails.org/ classes/ActiveSupport/Inflector/Inflections.html) and do something like mapping the plural of all words to the same word.

Regards.

Franco Catena.

Before you do anything extreme, try this (example from previous post).

script/generate scaffold Equipment name:string kind:string

Then see what happens when you go: http://localhost:3000/equipment/new

Equipment is a word that behaves just as you'ld like with singular (equipment) == plural(equipment).

You're going to need more than just inflections to make this puppy work.

If you want to gain any proficiency with Rails, I'd urge you to resist the instinct to do things like this, and go with the flow.

A lot of Rails is following the frameworks conventions, and pluralization is one of those. If you do you'll find things much easier in the long run.

If you don't you'll find yourself working much too hard in the long run.

Rick Denatale wrote:

If you want to gain any proficiency with Rails, I'd urge you to resist the instinct to do things like this, and go with the flow.

I completely agree with this philosophy. If you can't abide following conventions, then maybe Rails isn't the right choice for you. That being said; if you can find a way to relinquish stubbornness, and concentrate on the things that make your application unique, then you might just find that the established conventions eliminate a lot of the decisions that are common to every application.

Otherwise, you'll end up spending all your time fighting against the framework instead of concentrating on making your application great.

Rick Denatale wrote:

+10 for Rick's opinion and Robert's second... you're starting down a very slippery slope, to say nothing of the fact that altering the default behaviors will just make it that much harder for other people who work *with* the framework to understand your code, which will just appear like an abberation.

I also agree with that, I want to make my point cleaner. English is not my mother language (if you don't figure it out yet), and programming in Rails is often a pleasure, but if you want to program in Spanish for example, the pluralization don't work. For example the plural of Ciudad (City) is Ciudades, but is pluralized as Ciudads (awful). I asume that the question was for one problem like this, i don't "support" not follow the conventions either.

Regards.

Franco Catena.

But you can teach the inflector to handle this by giving proper pluralizations of words.

It would be nice it there was support to do this en masse for a given language but it's not easy.

But doing it for the specific words which need to be handled in a given app (mostly model names) is certainly possible in most cases, and shouldn't require taking the approach of disabling pluralization.

Rails main motto is "convention over configuration" why do you want to go against the flow. in that case you have to face lots of problem in future. but you can do that by changing the inflection or the generation system of ROR