How is wiki.rubyonrails.org's uptime lately?

Hello folks.

We migrated wiki.rubyonrails.org to Phusion Passenger and Ruby Enterprise Edition about 2-3 weeks ago. Before, the wiki's Mongrels were crashing at a regular rate, for unknown reasons. We figured that Phusion Passenger's ability to automatically restart crashed processes should increase uptime a lot.

It turns out that the wiki has memory usage problems and is constantly being bombarded by (spam?) bots. Since the migration, I've been continuously tweaking Phusion Passenger and the wiki's configuration. For example I've added an option to Phusion Passenger that would restart the wiki if it used too much memory. Last week or so, Michael Koziarski and I have finally identified the memory problems. A few days ago the last memory problem (that we're aware of) was fixed.

I'm wondering what people think about the wiki's uptime as of late. In the past few weeks I've restarted Apache a few times in order to upgrade Phusion Passenger, but the downtime of each such restart was only a few seconds. In my opinion the wiki has been pretty solid lately. In the past 2 weeks I haven't seen it go down at all. But a few days ago someone edited the front page and added the text "It would be nice if uptime were of some importance to this wiki". So this made me wonder whether I'm wrong and that the wiki is still unstable.

Comments would be much appreciated.

Regards, Hongli Lai

I had it on montastic until recently - the only outages appear to have been you restarting it (because it came back up quickly).

If you want to see for yourself, I'd suggest putting it on montastic with your email. I took it off my monitoring list because of the restart spam, and because someone else (looks like you!) was handling it.

Thanks and good job, -- Chad