How do i stop rails from cacheing a link

I've got a controller that saves changes to a file and displays the file..

well, the controller the saves the file renders the controller that displays the file after it saves the file (i'm sure there's a better way to do this but i haven't figured it out yet).

at the bottom of the displayed file there is a link to refresh the page to reload the file.. the problem is, unless i manually refresh the browser, i wont see any changes. it just keeps an old version.. even if i just made a change to the file, it will still display the version before the change..

now i'm assuming this is rails wanting to be nice and cache stuff to make it quicker... but it's annoying the hell out of me.

so here's how it goes.

1.read a file with the fileread action. 2.make changes and submit to the filewrite action which renders the fileread action and shows the changes just fine. 3.click the refresh link which goes to the fileread action and the file reverts back to before the changes... 4.Hit the refresh button on the browser and now the fileread action actually shows changes..

i can click the refresh link all i want and it still shows no change.

Morgan Morgan wrote:

I've got a controller that saves changes to a file and displays the file..

well, the controller the saves the file renders the controller that displays the file after it saves the file (i'm sure there's a better way to do this but i haven't figured it out yet).

at the bottom of the displayed file there is a link to refresh the page to reload the file.. the problem is, unless i manually refresh the browser, i wont see any changes. it just keeps an old version.. even if i just made a change to the file, it will still display the version before the change..

now i'm assuming this is rails wanting to be nice and cache stuff to make it quicker... but it's annoying the hell out of me.

so here's how it goes.

1.read a file with the fileread action. 2.make changes and submit to the filewrite action which renders the fileread action and shows the changes just fine. 3.click the refresh link which goes to the fileread action and the file reverts back to before the changes... 4.Hit the refresh button on the browser and now the fileread action actually shows changes..

i can click the refresh link all i want and it still shows no change.

i didn't reread this before i posted it.

should be

well, the action that saves the file renders the action that displays the file after it saves the file (i'm sure there's a better way to do this but i haven't figured it out yet).

Morgan Morgan wrote:

I'm guessing you're assuming wrong here. Rails has nothing to do with it. It's going to be the client's browser that caches the file, unless the response tells the browser not to cache it.

Here a nice tutorial on caching that might help you: