Question on caching

Hi there, I have a question about caching templates. We have a need to modify certain erb files on the filesystem from time to time, but when modified they don't update in the Rails app until the server is restarted - they're being cached in staging and production.

I found numerous blog entries, etc. that indicate that Rails by default checks the file modification time of a given template/partial before caching it and will refresh from the filesystem if it finds a newer template. This is not currently happening.

Has this behavior been removed from Rails 2.3.2 , or how can we force this behavior?

-Gary

Are you modifying those erb files by hand? Or in code?

If in code, you need to add the appropriate expire calls to flush the cache. (But if you're really modifying erb files as part of your app's normal behavior, that sounds bad and I would look for a better way.)

If by hand, why not just restart the server when they change? Typically such modifications would be tested in development mode first, then deployed via capistrano or some other automated fashion. In the last step, capistrano will restart the server.

I found numerous blog entries, etc. that indicate that Rails by
default checks the file modification time of a given template/partial
before caching it and will refresh from the filesystem if it finds a
newer template. This is not currently happening.

Has this behavior been removed from Rails 2.3.2 , or how can we force
this behavior?

Isn't that what config.action_view.cache_template_loading controls ?

Fred