hope RAILS COMMUNITY MEMBERS help me solve this SIMPLE PROBLEM

hi

i am new to rails help me to solve this simple problem, i’m using default sqlite db in rails…i want to work and use oracle database now for upcomming rails application here is my ruby and rails version

rails 3.2.1

ruby1.9.3

and i tried connecting rails3 with oracle 8i but i could not connect…did rails3 and ruby 1.9 environment supports oracle 8i or whether i have to go for the oracle version like 10g and above. kindly tell me what are the things i need to download,packages and gems needed in order to configure oracle in rails and give me the step by step instruction to do the same.

hi i am new to rails help me to solve this simple problem, i'm using default sqlite db in rails....i want to work and use oracle database now for upcomming rails application here is my ruby and rails version

rails 3.2.1

ruby1.9.3

Try doing this on upcoming apps

rails new --help

you'll see that there's an option -d that will set the type of db you want to use example:

rails new <app_name> -d oracle

here's the explanation

and i tried connecting rails3 with oracle 8i but i could not connect...did rails3 and ruby 1.9 environment supports oracle 8i or whether i have to go for the oracle version like 10g and above. kindly tell me what are the things i need to download,packages and gems needed in order to configure oracle in rails and give me the step by step instruction to do the same.

I don't have oracle installed here (and I've never used), but if you want to do a connection, you have to modify the database.yml file located in config folder inside your app directory

Maybe this helps

First thing you’re going to need to do is be more specific. “Could not connect” is not enough detail for anybody to figure out the problem - error messages, stacktraces, etc are far more likely to yield results.

Also, you’ll want to include what operating system you’re on - troubleshooting Oracle on Windows is vastly different than on Linux.

You may also have more luck going to an Oracle-specific group:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/oracle-enhanced

–Matt Jones