Holy Crap, My Rails Site is Slow

Hi Joel,

Let's start with a few things to make sure we're all on the same page here.

Your general site makeup will have:

A backend server component (Apache for instance) A frontend server component (passenger, nginx etc.) Your application (Rails)

Not sure we're using the 'back' / 'front' words the same, but in my lingo you've got these reversed. Apache lives 'in front of' passenger / mongrel / etc. serving static content itself and directing requests for dynamic content to them.

HTH, Bill

Not sure we're using the 'back' / 'front' words the same, but in my lingo you've got these reversed. Apache lives 'in front of' passenger / mongrel / etc. serving static content itself and directing requests for dynamic content to them.

HTH, Bill

Hi Bill, you are correct. My use of backend/frontend was not correct, but yep you knew what I was trying to get at. :slight_smile:

Reverse Proxy lives in front of Apache lives in front of Passenger lives in front of Rails.

Alpha Blue wrote: [...]

Reverse Proxy lives in front of Apache lives in front of Passenger lives in front of Rails.

Interesting essay; I'll try to find time to comment in depth. But why are you using a reverse proxy with Passenger? Or was that hypothetical?

Best,

Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:

Alpha Blue wrote: [...]

Interesting essay; I'll try to find time to comment in depth. But why are you using a reverse proxy with Passenger? Or was that hypothetical?

Best, -- Marnen Laibow-Koser http://www.marnen.org marnen@marnen.org

hypothetical.

I guess a load balancer is a specific type of reverse proxy.