Best HOST and web server

Ok im currently trying to choose between Apache/Nginx, and other stuff too (passenger, etc)

Could someone give me a brief description/explanation of which one to use? What do you prefer? Pros/Cons?

Also, whats ur fav VPS company? Do you think that Rackspace Cloud is good? Anyone tried it?

Ok im currently trying to choose between Apache/Nginx, and other stuff too (passenger, etc) Could someone give me a brief description/explanation of which one to use? What do you prefer? Pros/Cons?

I use apache/passenger. I've stuck with Apache because I've got some PHP stuff and don't want to mess with fcgi right now. Passenger is nice.

Also, whats ur fav VPS company? Do you think that Rackspace Cloud is good? Anyone tried it?

I've been a SliceHost.com customer for a number of years. Good stuff.

-p

I highly recommend Slicehost as a VPS/cloud solution if you're comfortable with server management. They have a great set of docs to get you started from scratch and their support team is extremely helpful when it comes to the tougher issues. Also, they're owned by Rackspace, so it's safe to assume they won't be going out of business or anything like that.

I’m using Nginx + Thin

See here:

http://webroar.in/blog/2009/11/25/comparison-of-rails-deployment-stacks-2/

I didn’t try WebRoar. But Thin is the best among others.

I believe nobody would argue that Nginx is faster than Apache though.

I’ve got VDS on RackspaceCloud about a year now. Had no problems with them. I like them’s 24/7 support system through web-based chat. Any problem could be solved in 10 minutes without any kind of tickets.

David Zhu wrote:

Ok im currently trying to choose between Apache/Nginx, and other stuff too (passenger, etc)

Could someone give me a brief description/explanation of which one to use? What do you prefer? Pros/Cons?

If your app will run on Heroku (not all apps will), use it! It's the easiest Rails deployment around.

I wouldn't be surprised. I've had good experience with Rackspace in general. I tend to use Slicehost (which is now owned by Rackspace).

Best,

so what exactly is Passenger? Is it just a tool for deployment? So do i run it alongside Nginx and thin?

I've used slicehost and rackspace. I like slicehost, but rackspace is much cheaper and much faster and has better bandwith.

Somehow I ended up on Amazon AWS though. But I keep using rackspace.

Trausti

so what exactly is Passenger? Is it just a tool for deployment? So do i run it alongside Nginx and thin?

Read all about it here.

ok I'm still a little bit confused-

I read some places where they compare passenger vs mongrel/thin

is that correct? i thought passenger was a tool, not an entire backend server...

clarification?

Passenger is an apache module (mod_rails).

I recommend that you run Passenger if you can, but if you have heavy reliance on mod_rewrite, I seem to remember serious issues running both at the same time.

Over here at Twitter we’re running Apache and Unicorn, which we’ve been very happy with so far.

-john

David Zhu wrote:

ok I'm still a little bit confused-

I read some places where they compare passenger vs mongrel/thin

is that correct?

Yes, mostly.

i thought passenger was a tool, not an entire backend server...

clarification?

You apparently thought wrong: it's a module for Apache or Nginx. Please check out the Passenger website for more info; you've already been given the link.

Best,