help with design issue

Hi,

I am a newbie in rails. I am creating a rails app where I query an existing database consisting of multiple tables. I created a model file corresponding to each database in the model folder. Now the problem is I want a consolidated view for all the models. My app will basically take some inputs from user and generate a summarized view based on the given inputs by querying multiple tables (and thus interacting with many models). So shall i create just one controller and put the entire logic in it?? or can i transfer some logic to helpers? What would be the ideal design in this case?

Any help is really appreciated!!

Thanks & Regards, Shalini Sah

Hi,

I am a newbie in rails. I am creating a rails app where I query an existing database consisting of multiple tables. I created a model file corresponding to each database in the model folder. Now the problem is I want a consolidated view for all the models. My app will basically take some inputs from user and generate a summarized view based on the given inputs by querying multiple tables (and thus interacting with many models). So shall i create just one controller and put the entire logic in it?? or can i transfer some logic to helpers? What would be the ideal design in this case?

There should be very little logic in the controller, but logic in the controller is usually best moved to the models. Helpers can be used to remove logic from the view. Can you give an example of the sort of logic you are talking about?

Colin

I think you need a separate model that will aggregate data from others.