help using active scaffold

I am trying to build a simple search/show tool as a first iteration of a larger project. I only have one table right now and I would like to implement active scaffold from the start of this project. I have tried several times but I am having trouble with active scaffold. I have my one table, I can easily create my model and controller several ways but one of the 3 steps in implementing active scaffold is to modify the layout:

<%= javascript_include_tag :defaults %> <%= active_scaffold_includes %>

problem is, if I create a project, then create my model and then controller - I don't have a layout, nor do I really know how to create one or what to put in it. I tried implementing scaffold first and that works in giving me a layout to work with but I cant convert it over to active scaffold plus that seems like the clunky way to do it. To me it should be

rails <proj name> ruby script/generate model <singular od table name> ruby script/generate controller <whatever> **implement AS****

can anyone help with this layout issue (i am not real good on the view side of things i guess

thanks

Active Scaffold needs the following:

In your application layout file - put the active_scaffold_includes like you did. In your controller put:

active_scaffold :modal_plurals

In your routes.rb file, put

map.resources :model_name, :active_scaffold => true

This should give you a pure scaffold web page.

Then go to activescaffold website, and look at customizing views.

Regards

Mikel

thank you thank you

couple questions:

1. i don't have a layouts file do I? that is my problem. I know I need to add those two lines to it but unless i scaffold or something I do not have a layouts file in my project period. Do i just create a blank layouts file and just have those two lines? if i simply create a model and controller off the one table I don't have a layout I guess is my point and if i have to create one manually i don't really know how - what do i put in it, what do i call it ...etc

2. in the controller what does this mean ...active_scaffold :modal_plurals ??? i thought it was active_scaffold: <model name> (model being singular

3. in the routes.rb file I will do what you say but why did the active scaffold site not say anything about modifying this file?

thanks a ton!

I got it, thanks for the help