Having a base date set for RSpec Testing?

I have a quick questions.

I'm developing an application with has about 15-20 tables in the DB, with static data that is necessary for the system to operate (everything from US States to various enumerated values).

The obvious problem is that RSpec wipes your database for each example, and needed to put a call to 15-20 fixtures on each describe block seems excessive.

And in my case it really can't be mocked/stubbed out. The values are used during the parsing of the class file:

named_scope :open, :conditions => ["lead_status_id IN (?)", %w{New Incubating Client UAG}.collect{|x| LeadStatus.id}]

which means that I will need to add the LeadStatus fixtures to every test that touches the lead model.

Is there anyway to specify that certain tables don't get wiped during the setup for each example?

thanks

I have a quick questions.

I'm developing an application with has about 15-20 tables in the DB, with static data that is necessary for the system to operate (everything from US States to various enumerated values).

The obvious problem is that RSpec wipes your database for each example, and needed to put a call to 15-20 fixtures on each describe block seems excessive.

This is not exactly what happens. RSpec configures Rails testing code to run with transactional fixtures by default (look for config.use_transactional_fixtures in spec/spec_helper.rb).

This declaration, use_transactional_fixtures, is a bit of a misnomer. What it means really is "run each example in a transaction, and roll that transaction back. So it doesn't wipe out the database between each example - it just restores it to the state it was in before the example.

This means that you can set up global data before any examples get run, and there are a couple of ways you can accomplish this. The simplest and cleanest way (IMO) is to add a before(:suite) block to the config in spec/spec_helper.rb:

config.before(:suite) do   # set up all the global data end

This will run after db:test:prepare and before any examples. Then after each example the db will be restored to the state created in the before(:suite) block.

NOTE that the before(:suite) functionality was a bit broken until about 10 minutes ago, so you need the latest rspec from github (Home · dchelimsky/rspec-rails Wiki · GitHub) for this to work consistently.

HTH, David