Hartl rails tutorial need help - regd "Test-driven development" introduction

Hi,

I am getting some unexpected error which is not mentioned in the rails tutorials(http://ruby.railstutorial.org/chapters/static-pages#sec-TDD) I am following :

(arup~>sample_app)$ bundle exec rspec spec/requests/static_pages_spec.rb F

Failures:

1) Static pages Home page should have the content 'Sample App'      Failure/Error: expect(page).to have_content('Sample App')        expected #has_content?("Sample App") to return true, got false      # ./spec/requests/static_pages_spec.rb:9:in `block (3 levels) in <top (required)>'

Finished in 0.04079 seconds 1 example, 1 failure

Failed examples:

rspec ./spec/requests/static_pages_spec.rb:7 # Static pages Home page should have the content 'Sample App'

Randomized with seed 23303

please post the test code you’re trying to run. also, unless it’s a lot of text, add the html for the page you’re testing.

the test is looking at the html being returned by the rails controller to see if it has the text “Sample App” in it and it’s failing because it’s not finding that text. the code for the test is around: /spec/requests/static_pages_ spec.rb:7

The initial exercise shows text for a failing test - that text isn’t exactly what you’ve posted in your results but the meaning is the same - it can’t find “Sample App” in the response. have you written the code to make the test pass yet? you may be trying to be too literal in the tutorial and sometimes different versions of testing frameworks or versions of rails/ruby etc can affect some of those details. not sure if that’s what’s happening here but i don’t see a huge disconnect from what you’ve reported and what the tutorial is expressing.

hth,

Max

Boot up the server and look at the page in your browser. See if the phrase “Sample App” is on it (case sensitive), or if there’s a nice big red error message.

Max Maxwell wrote in post #1132841:

please post the test code you're trying to run. also, unless it's a lot of

hth,

Max

Sorry! For the confusions.

I expect it to fail. What made me confused is - *expected #has_content?("Sample App") to return true, got false*. Because the tutorial is not showing this in the fail results. why does it come for my case. That was my question. See the error as attached which was mentioned in tutorial.

Attachments: http://www.ruby-forum.com/attachment/9125/Screenshot_from_2014-01-12_01_09_44.png