Getting "Could not find gem 'rack (~> 2.x) ruby'" error while running bundle for Rails 5 app

I have 5 Rails 5 "canery apps’ that in the past run bundle cleanly, but yesterday things changed.

I have two repos (rt_demo_app5, rt_first_app5) that have run bundle cleanly (after adding rack

master to Gemfile) and 3 that do not (hello_app5, toy_app5, sample_app_5_0_rt) even after

adding the rack master to Gemfile.

For the ones that do not run bundle cleanly, the error message is (before adding rack master to Gemfile):

Bundler could not find compatible versions for gem "rack":
In Gemfile:
rails (>= 0) ruby depends on
actionpack (= 5.0.0.alpha) ruby depends on
rack (~> 2.x) ruby
Could not find gem 'rack (~> 2.x) ruby', which is required by
gem 'actionpack (= 5.0.0.alpha) ruby', in any of the sources.

Example Public repo: https://bitbucket.org/jasnow/sample_app_5_0_rt

I checked rubygems.org and latest rack is at 1.6.4 so unclear how to get 2.x.

So how do I change my Gemfile to find “rack 2.x”?

Thanks,

Al

Try:

gem 'rack', github: 'rack/rack'

HTH,

After adding “gem ‘rack’, github: '‘rack/rack’” to example repo below, I get this when I run “bundle” command:

Bundler could not find compatible versions for gem “rack”: In Gemfile: rails (>= 0) ruby depends on actionpack (= 5.0.0.alpha) ruby depends on rack (~> 1.6) ruby

rack (>= 0) ruby

It appears that we need both rack (2.x) and rack (1.6).

FYI, Al

Partially fix (but now have new messages): After more digging, I added these lines to Gemfile: __* gem ‘sprockets’, git: ‘git://github.com/rails/sprockets.git’

• gem ‘sass-rails’, git: ‘git://github.com/rails/sass-rails.git’
  • gem ‘rack’, git: ‘git://github.com/rack/rack.git’
  • gem ‘sprockets-rails’, ‘3.0.0.beta2’__

But now I get this (even aflter added the line below to config/initializers/assets.rb) during rake run: ActionView::Template::Error: Asset was not declared to be precompiled in production. Add Rails.application.config.assets.precompile += %w( application.js ) to config/initializers/assets.rb and restart your server"

TRICK: Must notice what is between the paras and add them to the config/initializers/assets.rb file. Example: Rails.application.config.assets.precompile += %w( application.js application.css ). Once I added all of the things that needed to be precompile (now with sprockets 4.0), “rake” ran cleanly.

Therefore all 3 repos that I had problems with today and now fixed. (Question Closed)