gem rails installs 3.2.2, doesn't seem to find my sprockets gem

So I was just doing a new gem install of rails and am encountering an odd problem. Here's what I am seeing.

gem install actionpack-3.2.2 -l

ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::DependencyError)     Unable to resolve dependencies: actionpack requires sprockets (~> 2.1.2)

But I do have the sprockets-2.3.1 installed, which should be ~> 2.1.2, proven by the below command

gem list --local | grep sprockets sprockets (2.3.1)

What gives? Is this too new of a version?

So I was just doing a new gem install of rails and am encountering an odd problem. Here's what I am seeing.

> gem install actionpack-3.2.2 -l

ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::DependencyError) Unable to resolve dependencies: actionpack requires sprockets (~> 2.1.2)

But I do have the sprockets-2.3.1 installed, which should be ~> 2.1.2, proven by the below command

2.3.1 is not ~>2.1.2

~> 2.1.2 is equivalent to >= 2.1.2 and < 2.2 and so doesn't match 2.3.1. It's useful when you're ok picking up new versions with bug fixes but don't want any breaking changes (assuming that the gems you are using version themselves sensibly)

Fred

Ah, I figured out what the problem was. I tried this out on a computer connected to the internet and let gem install automatically do its work. On install, It went ahead and grabbed sprocket-2.1.2 specifically. Regardless that I had 2.3.1 installed. Now it works fine.