From Instant Rails 2.0 to Rails 2.1.0

hi,

I have installed Instant Rails 2.0 on my machine which comes with Rails 2.0.2. Now I want to update my Rails to version 2.1.0. So I do gem update rails and It seems to be fine. But when I check the version of my Rails I get the following message:

rails -v

C:/RoR/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:578:in `report_activate_error': RubyGem version error: activesupport(2.0.2 not = 2.1.0) (Gem::LoadError)   from C:/RoR/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:134:in `activate'   from C:/RoR/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:158:in `activate'   from C:/RoR/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:157:in `each'   from C:/RoR/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:157:in `activate'   from C:/RoR/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:49:in `gem'   from C:/RoR/ruby/bin/rails:18

Please help! Thanks... zhiguang

Hi zhiguang,

zhiguang wrote:

I have installed Instant Rails 2.0 on my machine which comes with Rails 2.0.2. Now I want to update my Rails to version 2.1.0. So I do gem update rails and It seems to be fine. But when I check the version of my Rails I get the following message:

>rails -v C:/RoR/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:578:in `report_activate_error': RubyGem version error: activesupport(2.0.2 not = 2.1.0) (Gem::LoadError)

Looks like it didn't get it all done. I successfully updated my copy of IR2.0 but did a gem update --system first. Also, I did gem update rails -y to include the dependencies. Also, I went back and uninstalled the down versions (e.g., rails2.0.2). It's not supposed to be necessary but I prefer a 'clean' copy.

HTH, Bill

(sorry if it is a double post, having some google-groups issues...)

i'm trying to update too, so i can use the new cache features, but when i try to use the method "Rails.cache.write" in my controller i get the message

"undefined method `cache' for Rails:Module (NoMethodError)"

and if i try to set the cache store ("ActionController::Base.cache_store = :memory_store") i get: "undefined method `cache_store=' for ActionController::Base:Class (NoMethodError)"

the version message is "Rails 2.1.0", so i assume that the version is ok. does anyone know what could be the problem? thanks.

After installed Instant Rails 2.0, I did

gem uninstall rails gem update --system gem update rails -y

But I got the same error message. (I also tried without this first step...)

What did I miss there? Thanks...

i just updated my instant rails today. i did:

1 - gem update --system 2 - gem update rails -y 3 - gem uninstall rails (not really necessary)

and i had to do it twice, as the first time the update was not properly done. it could be nice to delete everything and start from scratch, i did that.

zhiguang wrote:

Did you do anything between downloading/unzipping InstantRails-2.0- win.zip and your 3 steps?

Here is my problem: after the 1st step, I did the following and got an ERROR message.

C:\RoR2\rails_apps>gem update rails -y Updating installed gems Updating rails ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::InstallError)     invalid gem format for C:/RoR2/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/cache/ activesupport-2. 1.0.gem

Hints? Thanks...

try gem cleanup -v, this should get rid of the old gem versions

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I alos still have this issue. See screenshot:

Any ideas? Thanks,

Owen

I had the exact same problem as you today. I ran this command and it fixed the problem:

"gem uninstall rails" "gem install rails"

Hope this helps.

I tried all the suggestions above but none of them worked.

I just wonder isn't updating Instant Rails (which contains Rails 2.0.2 now) to Rails 2.1.0 something simply and very desired? Shouldn't there be some standard procedure for that?

It is just so frustrated...

Need to MANUALLY dowload the Activesupport 2.1 gem, install using the --local option, THEN do "gem install rails"

I was told there is a repository problem...

Try:

Start InstantRails Menu -> Rails Applications -> Open Ruby Console Window at prompt: gem install rails

Zé Luiz.

Zé Luiz wrote:

Try:

Start InstantRails Menu -> Rails Applications -> Open Ruby Console Window at prompt: gem install rails

Z� Luiz.

The above worked for me. Thanks Ze Luiz