Freelance

Hey

Do you guys even use rails for freelance work? Because most of the time other companies already have a website running on let say.. go daddy.

If you guys do freelance work with rails, usually whats the best approach to take if ur client already has a host set up? Do you just try to deploy it on their host? Yikes

You think rails is the right way to go when it comes to freelance work? Or should i just keep it to my self for private projects?

David Zhu wrote:

Hey

Do you guys even use rails for freelance work?

Heck yes.

Because most of the time other companies already have a website running on let say.. go daddy.

If you guys do freelance work with rails, usually whats the best approach to take if ur client already has a host set up? Do you just try to deploy it on their host? Yikes

Depends on the specifics of the hosting environment.

You think rails is the right way to go when it comes to freelance work?

Absolutely.

Or should i just keep it to my self for private projects?

No, share the love! :slight_smile:

Best,

Hey

Do you guys even use rails for freelance work? Because most of the time other companies already have a website running on let say.. go daddy.

I make my living that way. Have for 2 years now. So... yes.

About the only real problem I encounter with third party hosts if if they insist on running Rails through FCGI. So, yeah, sometimes hosting is a pain. But if they don't mind switching (or don't have something already setup or already have their own VPSs) it's a non issue.

You think rails is the right way to go when it comes to freelance work? Or should i just keep it to my self for private projects?

If you enjoy it and can do good work sure.

-philip

One of my current projects used to run their Rails app on a shared Plesk server using FCGI in the US. Fortunately part of taking on the contract I moved them over to Brightbox (in the UK). Which compared to my own Linode box is expensive however it allows the client to take care of the billing and me to take care of the box, they have a cool setup wherby you can add a technical contact's Brightbox account to the clients one which is nice to manage, Plus it means there's no aggravation if we decide to part company, and equally not aggravation when the client decides to change the password to their account.

I'd go with environment that your most comfortable with and the one to can easily hand over to the client if they decide to take on another developer.

Letting the client have control of the hosting environment is a massive pain, so I'd be tempted not to take something on if that's the case.

RobL