Free ruby on rails hosting...

Hi

I have a ror app ready...i have tested it on my local machine using webrick. Now i need to test it on the net. Please let me know a site which offers free ROR hosting.

YES i did search this forum on this topic before posting. I found a lot of topics, most of them were recommending heroku.com

But that site woks only with invites, if somebody can send me an invite, that would be fine.

or if you know of alternative sites please let me know.

Thanks Prasanna

This is not free, but it's pretty close. For less than $2 a month you get a heck of a lot.

http://refer.asmallorange.com/3304

I'm *very* happy with them. A couple of disclaimers: That's a referrer link. If you sign up through it I'll actually make a buck or two. If that bugs you, here's a plain vanilla link:

Also, I've had a bunch of sites with them for years. I haven't yet converted any of those to rails. But their customer service is so good I don't expect any troubles.

Prasanna,

If you simply want to show it off to your friends -- you can sign up for a free dev account at www.mor.ph. (I work for Morph.) If you need to deploy in production, you can opt to get the next plan, which just starts at $1 a day.

Macel

Macel wrote:

Prasanna,

If you simply want to show it off to your friends -- you can sign up for a free dev account at www.mor.ph. (I work for Morph.) If you need to deploy in production, you can opt to get the next plan, which just starts at $1 a day.

Macel

On Jun 22, 3:30 pm, Prasanna kumar Nagasamudram <rails-mailing-

Hi Macel

Thanks, I have created an account on www.mor.ph, now, i createed a subscription and database, downloaded the capfile.

I just have my application zip file when i unzip it....it gives myapp folder with the ror directory structure.

I copied the cap file to myapp and tried to execute it as

ruby morph_deploy.rb ...it cribs about lot of dependecncies....is there a list of dependecncis that i need to download before executing the above command ?

Thanks Prasanna

hi Dale, could you consider sending me an invite? my email is ppjunty07 at gmail. thanks a lot.

Dale Campbell wrote:

Prasanna,

Do email me at macel [at] mor dot ph. I'd love to help you out.

Cheers, Macel

Macel wrote:

Prasanna,

Do email me at macel [at] mor dot ph. I'd love to help you out.

Cheers, Macel

On Jun 23, 4:35 pm, Prasanna kumar Nagasamudram <rails-mailing-

Thanks a lot Machel.

I enjoyed devoloping my app using ruby on rails(i started with rails 1.2.2). and was happy to see the output, via the webrick server and I thought this is it, i can now just copy the zip file of my rorapp, to any webfolder and it should be up and running....(like any of the other app, like php, jsp etc...).

I dint realize that deployment would be a horror.

I have read this capistrino stuff......that remebers me of ejb deployment...updating hunderds of xmls......ended no mans land.

I could provide you the zip of my ror app, can you please help me in deploying my app?

Once this is successful, im planning to write a step by step article on ror deployment...

Thanks Prasanna

Hi Prasanna,

I'd love to help you out with your deployment. Prior to deployment, you have to check on a few things such as:

- locking all your gems for production applications so that your application is using the gems you have tested and know work, rather than relying on the server gems which may or may not be compatible. for help, you can check out http://gemsonrails.rubyforge.org. if one or more gems can't be locked, send you gem installation to us and our team will check if we can add that to our servers. - Capistrano 2.x must be installed on your system - and a few other things

Please email me directly at macel [at] mor dot ph so that I can help you further.

Regards, Macel