First Steps with Ruby

Hi all,

My name is Luis, and I'm a 16 years old guy from Spain. I would like to learn Ruby because I've seen is pretty cool and seems quite easy to learn. I tried to look for some spanish forums but they are not too active so I'm going to post here, please forgive my poor English.

I would like to create a dynamic sports stats website and I think Ruby is the best way to do it, but I don't know too much about databases and I would like to ask you which one you think is better for my project. I will start with just a few stats but the idea is to have a lot of more from different sports. I expect to have a lot of data :wink:

I have read PostgresSQL is a good idea, what do you think? Would you recommend it? Could you gimme some tips for the installation? I'm a mac user.

Also for the Ruby on Rails version, I'm a bit confused because I have read a lot of different ways to set Ruby properly up. Which would be your recommendations?

Thank you all in advance.

Br, Luis

For starters we usually suggest that you follow up Michael Hartl’s web book: http://railstutorial.org

It’s free to read online and from what I recall he even talks a little about databases.

Also the lesson about setting up an ruby on rails development environment is pretty neat.

Best regards and best of luck in your learning!

Diego Dillenburg Bueno

Thanks a lot Diego!

I will have a look!

Best regards!

If you want to learn Ruby, than learn Ruby. Learning Rails is not the same as learning Ruby. I suggest anyone who wants to learn Rails learn Ruby first because that’s what Rails is built on. There are numerous options for learning Ruby, you can try codeacademy, or learnrubythehardway.org - both free options for learning Ruby.

Do not do the Hartl Tutorial and expect to learn Ruby - you will not learn Ruby - you will learn Ruby on Rails

If you want to learn Ruby, than learn Ruby. Learning Rails is not the same as learning Ruby. I suggest anyone who wants to learn Rails learn Ruby first because that's what Rails is built on. There are numerous options for learning Ruby, you can try codeacademy, or learnrubythehardway.org - both free options for learning Ruby.

Do not do the Hartl Tutorial and expect to learn Ruby - you will not learn Ruby - you will learn Ruby on Rails

When I first started I had no experience of either and I found that tutorial a good starter for both Ruby and RoR.

Colin