Project Code Decision

Hello Everyone,

My name is Eric. I will be starting a large project soon and I have a few questions. I will be creating a browser based sports simulator. Users will be able to create a player or a coach and ether coach a team or play on a team. We plan to have features like a live game tracker, mini pickup games, and multiple player and team managements. I know I will be developing the site itself with rails. However I am not sure how well rails will work for the actual simulation. My question is do you all think that rails would be a good tool for creating the sim or should I stick to PHP? I expect to get mostly bias answers here due to the fact that this is the rails communality, but I would love if someone who has had experience with both can give me a few reasons why one would be better than the other. Thanks for your time.

Eric

Hi Eric

I know I will be developing the site itself with rails.

Super.

However I am not sure how well rails will work for the actual simulation. My question is do you all think that rails would be a good tool for creating the sim or should I stick to PHP?

Rails is a framework for creating database-driven, web-based applications in Ruby. Your sim question should be Ruby vs. PHP, not Rails vs. PHP. You might want to ask it on the Ruby-talk mailing list.

The one thing you can count on is that a Ruby-based sim is going to be a more natural fit for integrating with Rails than a PHP-based sim. Other than that, your existing skill-set, and willingness to learn something new (i.e., Ruby), I'd think the nature of the sim itself is probably the most important factor WRT to the Ruby vs. PHP question Ruby is very OO.

HTH, Bil

Thanks Bill.

You're welcome, Eric. Hope to see you around. But do what makes sense.

Best regards, Bill