first impressions from a newbie on setting up ruby on rails

After downloading and installing ruby and gems as suggested on the download page http://www.rubyonrails.org/down, I decided to go for instant rails. The reasons being:

1. when I ran gem install rails --include-dependencies I got a strange error message and there wasn't anyplace to go for quick answers.

2 the instructions under "make your applicaiton" were confusing.

rails path/to/your/new/application cd path/to/your/new/application ruby script/server

Is "path/to/your/new/application" a particular path in ruby or just any one you choose? Does the last line represent the entire literal command or is there something called a script/server that I am supposed to enter?

I have a masters' in Computer Science and lots of experience with various languages. If I'm finding this page confusing, chances are others will as well.

After downloading and installing ruby and gems as suggested on the download page Ruby on Rails — A web-app framework that includes everything needed to create database-backed web applications according to the Model-View-Controller (MVC) pattern., I decided to go for instant rails. The reasons being:

1. when I ran gem install rails --include-dependencies I got a strange error message and there wasn't anyplace to go for quick answers.

You could start by saying what the error was :slight_smile:

rails path/to/your/new/application cd path/to/your/new/application ruby script/server

Is "path/to/your/new/application" a particular path in ruby or just any one you choose? Does the last line represent the entire literal command or is there something called a script/server that I am supposed to enter?

path/to/your/new/application does just mean 'wherever you want your application to be' ruby script/server will run the script that spawns a server

Fred

Michael Phoenix wrote:

...and what were those strange errors?

1) Any path you choose - it's just a location for rails to create its directory structure and file it with files

2) There is a server file in the script directory (in the rails framework created above). "script/server" is shorthand for this.