File to import not found or unreadable: bootstrap. Michaeal harts tutorial

Hello,

Im following Micheal harts tutorial. On chapter 5 you have to change the custum.css.scss file.

But when I do rails s I see the above error.

You can find all the sources here : https://github.com/roelof1967/sample_app

Roelof

You have not added bootstrap to Gemfile as described in listing 5.3

Colin

Thanks.

but the problem is not solved. When I change that part to this :

gem ‘rails’, ‘4.1.4’ gem ‘bootstrap-sass’, ‘2.3.2.0’ gem ‘sprockets’, ‘2.11.0’

I see this error when running rails s

/var/lib/gems/1.9.1/gems/bootstrap-sass-2.3.2.0/lib/bootstrap-sass.rb:14:in require': cannot load such file -- sass-rails (LoadError) from /var/lib/gems/1.9.1/gems/bootstrap-sass-2.3.2.0/lib/bootstrap-sass.rb:14:in load!’

After adding sass-rails to the gem file I see this error when doing bundle install :

Bundler could not find compatible versions for gem “sprockets-rails”: In Gemfile: sass-rails (>= 0) ruby depends on sprockets-rails (~> 2.0.0) ruby

rails (= 4.1.4) ruby depends on
  sprockets-rails (2.1.3)

Bundler could not find compatible versions for gem “railties”: In Gemfile: sass-rails (>= 0) ruby depends on railties (~> 3.1.0) ruby

coffee-rails (= 4.0.1) ruby depends on
  railties (4.1.4)

Thanks.

but the problem is not solved. When I change that part to this :

gem 'rails', '4.1.4' gem 'bootstrap-sass', '2.3.2.0' gem 'sprockets', '2.11.0'

I see this error when running rails s

/var/lib/gems/1.9.1/gems/bootstrap-sass-2.3.2.0/lib/bootstrap-sass.rb:14:in `require': cannot load such file -- sass-rails (LoadError)     from /var/lib/gems/1.9.1/gems/bootstrap-sass-2.3.2.0/lib/bootstrap-sass.rb:14:in `load!'

You have confused Gemfile.lock by putting in sass-rails and then taking it out.

After adding sass-rails to the gem file I see this error when doing bundle install :

Bundler could not find compatible versions for gem "sprockets-rails":   In Gemfile:     sass-rails (>= 0) ruby depends on       sprockets-rails (~> 2.0.0) ruby

rails (= 4.1.4) ruby depends on       sprockets-rails (2.1.3)

Go back to the most recent working version of your app in your git repository and just make the changes from the tutorial again, that should sort it. That is why git (and similar tools) are so valuable. Any time you mess things up you can easily get back to a working system.

For anyone else who finds this and has not been using a Source Control System then probably the best solution would be to revert Gemfile to *exactly* what it should be as required by the tutorial, delete Gemfile.lock and run bundle install again. Hopefully That will regenerate the correct Gemfile.lock.

Colin