Failed upgrade to Rails 2.0.2

I tried upgrading my site from 1.2.6 to 2.0.2 and now it’s completely dead.

The main stumbling block was that I use ActionWebService. After googling around I found several different solutions to getting that to work, including changes to config/environment.rb, adding search paths, and changing gems. None of those seemed to work, and now I’m at the point where nothing works at all. Running ./public/dispatch.fcgi gets me:

/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:139:in `activate’: can’t activate actionpack (= 1.13.6), already activated actionpack-2.0.2] (Gem::Exception)

My installed gems are:

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

actionmailer (2.0.2)

actionpack (2.0.2, 1.13.6)

actionwebservice (1.2.6)

activerecord (2.0.2)

activeresource (2.0.2)

activesupport (2.0.2, 1.4.4)

daemons (1.0.3)

mislav-will_paginate (2.2.3)

rails (2.0.2)

rake (0.8.1)

rubygems-update (1.1.1)

slave (1.2.0)

sources (0.0.1)

sqlite3-ruby (1.2.1)

If I remove actionpack 1.13.6, then I get the following error:

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-2.0.2/lib/initializer.rb:159:in `require_frameworks’: RubyGem version error: actionpac

k(2.0.2 not = 1.13.6) (RuntimeError)

help…?

I can only suggest you take a look at
http://www.texperts.com/2007/12/21/using-action-web-service-with-rails-20/
which is how I did it. It rather assumes you freeze rails into vendor/
rails, but I think that's a pretty good idea anyway.

Fred

That’s one of the articles that got me into trouble in the first place. After installing, freezing, and uninstalling various gems and plugins, now I’m in a state where nothing works. My app won’t even launch.

I never got ActionWebService to run correctly, but at this point I’d be happy just to get rails up and running again. Somewhere, something seems to be referencing multiple versions of various services. I’m pretty sure it’s not in my code anywhere. But none of the error messages or log files I can find will tell me what’s causing this problem.

That's one of the articles that got me into trouble in the first
place. After installing, freezing, and uninstalling various gems and
plugins, now I'm in a state where nothing works. My app won't even
launch.

If you have a functional vendor/rails, it should never look for any
gems (don't forget to run rake rails:update). Also make sure you
didn't install edge gems by accident (seems to be a common thing
recently. If you've got gems like rails 2.0.2.9216 then you've
actually get edge gems and not 2.0.2 gems)

Fred

Ok, I deleted all my gems, re-froze my rails, and it seems to be working now.

A harrowing experience