Extending Routing

I am working on a CMS project and would like to extend how routing works, however I have not done such deep magic in the past. Specifically I would like to map the /*path/ glob to a function that will return the controller, action and id based on a database lookup. I have it working now, but I am using render_component to get it to work.

Any thoughts?

The current routing table:

ActionController::Routing::Routes.draw do |map|   map.connect ':controller/service.wsdl', :action => 'wsdl'   map.connect ':controller/:action/:id'   map.connect '*path', :controller => 'application', :action => 'parse_path' end

The current application controller:

class ApplicationController < ActionController::Base   model :domain   attr_writer :root_node   attr_reader :root_node   before_filter { |c| c.root_node = Domain.find_by_name(c.request.host) if c.root_node.nil? }

def parse_path

# Set the current object to the root node for the current domain     obj = root_node

# Set the default action to index     action = 'render_node'

# Loop through each path element     for path_item in params[:path]

# Find the new path element in the children of the current node       new_obj = obj.children.find_by_name(path_item)

# If the new path element is not found       if new_obj.nil?         # Then set the current path element to the action         action = path_item         # and exit the loop         break       end

# Make the child the current node       obj = new_obj     end

@obj = obj     logger.info( "obj: " + @obj.to_s )

node_controller = obj.class.to_s.underscore     logger.info( "node controller :" + node_controller )

# Render the node and action     render_component :controller => node_controller,                       :action => action, :id => obj.id,                       :obj => obj, :params => params   end end

While it is not pretty and I fear will not scale real well, it works.

I had a look at Radiant CMS recently and was somewhat disappointed about the way they implemented everything. They just had to rewrite most of the parts concerning template and layout rendering. They even have their own “controllers” (which they call behaviours). I think it’s a reasonable solution on its own, but there isn’t much to borrow if you want to build some small and cute CMS.

Anyway, take a look at Radiant’s implementation. Maybe you’ll find some interesting points to start from.

If you are really about to extend rails routing, take a look at Jamis Buck’s articles on it: http://weblog.jamisbuck.org/2006/10/2/under-the-hood-rails-routing-dsl http://weblog.jamisbuck.org/2006/10/4/under-the-hood-route-recognition-in-rails

That's similar to what I'm doing in Mephisto, without the render_component overhead (I just call a dispatch_* action in the same controller). With page caching, the performance hit doesn't really matter.