Event Calendar/Scheduler Implementation

Hi there. I am a RoR newbie and come from the Java/C# perspective. After digging into Rails I would like to convert an ASP.NET project -that served as a protoype- to RoR.

The only thing that I haven´t got a good solution for is handling calendar events. With that I specifically mean creating, moving an event or a set of events as well as recurrence handling - similar to Google Calendar if you will. There numerous projects and controls to do that in ASP.NET and maybe someone already did something similar for RoR.

So far I found projects that support reading from GoogleCalendar as well displaying a simple Calendar http://topfunky.net/svn/plugins/calendar_helper/.

Thanks, Elmar

Ok, so it seems like there is no "premade" component (or it is so obvious that nobody cared to answer ;-)). Still, it would be interesting to know if anyone on this list implemented an Event scheduler in Rails. I´ve seen somebody creating a nice clientside UI implementation in ExtJS. Maybe I should take this as a starting point.

Any hint or idea is appreciated. Elmar

P.s.: Man, there is even a "Sponsored Link" ad for an ASP.NET Calendar Control on this page as I write this. Maybe I just need to type in enough keywords (like RUBY EVENT CALENDAR) so that the Google Ad words filter will eventually figure it out for me ;-).

There are a couple of gems that help with recurrence. Check rubyforge for those.

As for the UI, you'll have to roll your own for the most part. You'll find that RoR is significantly more 'hands on' in UI than .net. Personally, I think that's a good thing.

I actually did a blog post about "accidental complexity" a few days ago. In short: I agree with you. In more detail: http://aerobis.wordpress.com/2008/02/12/aspnet-webforms-send-from-heaven-or-microsoft/

You touch on my point a bit obliquely. I found that, by and large, the .net framework renders bad html. It's not 'semantically sensitive' so to speak. For example, a menu is really just a list of options. The .net framework has tended to cram things like that into a pixel-perfect table but *semantically* it's an ordered or unordered list. The advantage of using the right kind of markup is that those users who choose to turn off your pretty css still get a very clean, well organized page. (Okay, the well organized part is still up to you... :slight_smile:

… and don’t forget a good semantic structure helps search engines find their way and that in its turn gives you a more accurate and higher ranked position. Reduced total page size is usually something that you also get for free.

All of the points mentioned above actually led Microsoft to similar conclusions and that is why the recently came up with rip-off Rails and call it ASP.NET MVC. Sure, there is still a way to go until it matures but it´s a fresh approach.