Error with mongrel_rails start

When I make an empty Rails web application, and go through the steps to create/include a database, and scaffold, mongrel_rails start (or ruby script/server) works just fine. However, I attempted this with a pre-existing web app and I got some errors.

First, I gathered the app's folder (checked the contents, it has all the folders plus one extra: components) and placed it under ruby/ rails_apps. Then, to see if I could run it locally, I opened up Instant_Rails, opened the Ruby Console Window, changed the directory to ruby/ rails_apps/alpha (alpha is the name of the app folder). Then I tried to start Mongrel using mongrel_rails start. The first time I tried this I got:

Cannot find gem for Rails =1.1.6:       Install the missing gem with 'gem install -v=1.16 rails' or       change environment.rb to define RAILS_GEM_VERSION with your desired       version.

So, I changed my directory back to /ruby and entered 'gem install - v=1.16 rails'. It successfully installed 6 gems: activesupport-1.3.1, activerecord-1.14.4, actionpack-1.12.5, actionmailer-1.2.5, actionwebservice-1.1.6, and rails-1.1.6. Two errors came up while generating documentation, once for activesupport-1.3.1 and one for actionpack-1.12.5. Otherwise the installation completed and it returned me to the prompt:

Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org Successfully installed activesupport-1.3.1 Successfully installed activerecord-1.14.4 Successfully installed actionpack-1.12.5 Successfully installed actionmailer-1.2.5 Successfully installed actionwebservice-1.1.6 Successfully installed rails-1.1.6 6 gems installed Installing ri documentation for activesupport-1.3.1... ERROR: While generating documentation for activesupport-1.3.1 ... MESSAGE: Unhandled special: Special: type=17, text="<!-- HI -->" ... RDOC args: --ri --op C:/ruby/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/doc/ activesupport-1.3.1/ ri --quiet lib (continuing with the rest of the installation) Installing ri documentation for activerecord-1.14.4... Installing ri documentation for actionpack-1.12.5... ERROR: While generating documentation for actionpack-1.12.5 ... MESSAGE: Unhandled special: Special: type=17, text="<!-- The header part o f this layout -->" ... RDOC args: --ri --op C:/ruby/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/doc/ actionpack-1.12.5/ri --quiet lib (continuing with the rest of the installation) Installing ri documentation for actionmailer-1.2.5... Installing ri documentation for actionwebservice-1.1.6... Installing RDoc documentation for activesupport-1.3.1... Installing RDoc documentation for activerecord-1.14.4... Installing RDoc documentation for actionpack-1.12.5... Installing RDoc documentation for actionmailer-1.2.5... Installing RDoc documentation for actionwebservice-1.1.6...

(Then the prompt returned. I assume that meant the install finished). So I changed back to /ruby/rails_apps/alpha and tried mongrel_rails start. Here is what I got:

C:/ruby/rails_apps/alpha/config/boot.rb:28: undefined method `require_gem' for m ain:Object (NoMethodError)         from C:/ruby/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/ custom_require.rb:27:i n `gem_original_require'         from C:/ruby/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/ custom_require.rb:27:i n `require'         from C:/ruby/rails_apps/alpha/config/environment.rb:11         from C:/ruby/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/ custom_require.rb:27:i n `gem_original_require'         from C:/ruby/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/ custom_require.rb:27:i n `require'         from C:/ruby/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.2-x86- mswin32/bin/. ./lib/mongrel/rails.rb:147:in `rails'         from C:/ruby/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.2-x86- mswin32/bin/m ongrel_rails:113:in `cloaker_'         from C:/ruby/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.2-x86- mswin32/bin/. ./lib/mongrel/configurator.rb:149:in `call'          ... 6 levels...         from C:/ruby/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.2-x86- mswin32/bin/. ./lib/mongrel/command.rb:212:in `run'         from C:/ruby/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.2-x86- mswin32/bin/m ongrel_rails:281         from C:/ruby/ruby/bin/mongrel_rails:19:in `load'         from C:/ruby/ruby/bin/mongrel_rails:19

Next I tried ruby script/server instead, and got something similar, though not as menacing in length:

./script/../config/boot.rb:28: undefined method `require_gem' for main:Object (N oMethodError)         from C:/ruby/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/ custom_require.rb:27:i n `gem_original_require'         from C:/ruby/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/ custom_require.rb:27:i n `require'         from script/server:2

I tried reinstalling ruby, Instant_Rails, and installed the Ruby Gems version that was bundled with the app (rubygems-0.9.0). I retrieved the app via FTP, Filezilla. My job is to make changed to the website. I was hoping I could get the app up and running locally, unchanged, before I made any changes. However these errors have shut me down. Any help on how I can get this up and running locally (or how I screwed up) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Next I tried ruby script/server instead, and got something similar, though not as menacing in length:

./script/../config/boot.rb:28: undefined method `require_gem' for main:Object (N oMethodError) from C:/ruby/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/ custom_require.rb:27:i n `gem_original_require' from C:/ruby/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/ custom_require.rb:27:i n `require' from script/server:2

I tried reinstalling ruby, Instant_Rails, and installed the Ruby Gems version that was bundled with the app (rubygems-0.9.0). I retrieved the app via FTP, Filezilla. My job is to make changed to the website. I was hoping I could get the app up and running locally, unchanged, before I made any changes. However these errors have shut me down. Any help on how I can get this up and running locally (or how I screwed up) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

require_gem is a rubygems method that was obsoleted and later removed. However your rails 1.1.6 app (or more correctly, the boot.rb script it contains) is old enough that it still uses require_gem, which was fair play at the time. require_gem was renamed to just gem, if you make those replacements in boot.rb that would probably be a start.

Fred

Thanks a lot. That fixed Mongrel. It runs through and starts now. However I still don't have much of a clue about how to run the website locally. While I have mongrel up I enter: "http://localhost:3000/ " but I don't know what to put afterwards. The tutorials I've looked at say to put the name of a table from the database. Though I doubted that would work, I tried it, and of course it didn't work. I just get a routing error.

Just a name of one of the controllers should do it (or any routes defined in routes.rb) (often enough this will correspond to a model and therefore a table).

Fred

Thank you so much. Much <3