error when using generator

I’m not sure what I’ve done – may have tried to roll my own on some things and missed some dependencies? Not sure. I thought it might have been something with my ubuntu install but I finally talked the boss into a macbook the other day and the results are the same on the mac so that wasn’t it. I plan on rolling it back incrementally in git and see when it went sideways as a first step to tracking it down (in a clone repo of course – I love git)

If you have any advice on this I’m all “ears”…

Thanks.

Max

-------------- start of error paste

Allens-MacBook-Pro:test allenmaxwell$ rails g controller testcontroller /Users/allenmaxwell/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290/gems/railties-3.1.1/lib/rails/generators/named_base.rb:158:in parse_attributes!': undefined method attributes=’ for #Rails::Generators::ControllerGenerator:0x007fc386db2490

(NoMethodError)

from

/Users/allenmaxwell/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290/gems/railties-3.1.1/lib/rails/generators/named_base.rb:21:in

`initialize’

from

/Users/allenmaxwell/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290/gems/thor-0.14.6/lib/thor/group.rb:226:in

`new’

from

/Users/allenmaxwell/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290/gems/thor-0.14.6/lib/thor/group.rb:226:in

`dispatch’

from

/Users/allenmaxwell/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290/gems/thor-0.14.6/lib/thor/base.rb:389:in

`start’

from

/Users/allenmaxwell/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290/gems/railties-3.1.1/lib/rails/generators.rb:168:in

`invoke’

from

/Users/allenmaxwell/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290/gems/railties-3.1.1/lib/rails/commands/generate.rb:12:in `<top (required)>’

from

/Users/allenmaxwell/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290/gems/activesupport-3.1.1/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:240:in

`require’

from

/Users/allenmaxwell/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290/gems/activesupport-3.1.1/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:240:in `block in require’

from

/Users/allenmaxwell/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290/gems/activesupport-3.1.1/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:223:in `block in load_dependency’

from

/Users/allenmaxwell/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290/gems/activesupport-3.1.1/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:640:in

`new_constants_in’

from

/Users/allenmaxwell/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290/gems/activesupport-3.1.1/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:223:in

`load_dependency’

from

/Users/allenmaxwell/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290/gems/activesupport-3.1.1/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:240:in

`require’

from

/Users/allenmaxwell/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290/gems/railties-3.1.1/lib/rails/commands.rb:28:in `<top (required)>’

from script/rails:6:in `require’

from script/rails:6:in `’

--------------- end of paste

it looks like i got this fixed. I walked back into my git repo until
i found a commit that didn't have
the error. as it turned out the problem was with the prototype gem.
i had it in the Gemfile as gem 'prototype'
after googling etc I found that changing it to gem 'prototype-rails'
did the trick. seems to be working now!
thanks again..