Error when running things through the public directory

Hi,

I'm running the latest version of Ruby on Rails on Fedora Core 6 Linux. I created the simple "hello world" application found on the RoR site (http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/Tutorial). B/c of the hosting company I'm using, I would like to be able to run

http://mydomain.com/myapp/public/hello/world

but when I try entering this URL on my dev server, I get this error:

"We're sorry, but something went wrong.

We've been notified about this issue and we'll take a look at it shortly."

What does it mean and how can I troubleshoot?

Thanks, - Dave

The actual errors will appear in the log files, log/development.log when running in development mode for example.

Thanks, but there is nothing in the logs. I am running under the Apache 2 web server. Is there something I should do there? Since the .htaccess is routing everythinng to dispatch.cgi, I didn't think I had to, but I'm a beginner at this stuff. - Dave

You also checked ALL the logs (production too), right? That error is a RoR generated error, meaning that RoR will have logged something somewhere.

RoR is being activated correctly, so it's something in the program itself that isn't working... and without logs it's really really hard to guess what that might be.

-Ryan

Ok, I reset the logs, visited the page above and here is what is in the development.log file. Not sure what it all means:

file /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/testrails/tmp/sessions//ruby_sess. 343c99faad95793e not readable^M /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/pstore.rb:100:in `initialize'^M /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/ action_controller/cgi_ext/pstore_performance_fix.rb:25:in `new'^M /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/ action_controller/cgi_ext/pstore_performance_fix.rb:25:in `initialize'^M /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/cgi/session.rb:273:in `new'^M /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/cgi/session.rb:273:in `initialize'^M /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/ action_controller/cgi_process.rb:132:in `new'^M /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/ action_controller/cgi_process.rb:132:in `session'^M /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/ action_controller/cgi_process.rb:164:in `stale_session_check!'^M /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/ action_controller/cgi_process.rb:116:in `session'^M /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/ action_controller/base.rb:1058:in `assign_shortcuts_without_flash'^M /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/ action_controller/flash.rb:140:in `assign_shortcuts'^M /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/ action_controller/base.rb:429:in `process_without_filters'^M /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/ action_controller/filters.rb:684:in `process_without_session_management_support'^M /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/ action_controller/session_management.rb:114:in `process'^M /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/ action_controller/base.rb:334:in `process'^M /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.5/lib/dispatcher.rb:41:in `dispatch'^M /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/testrails/public/dispatch.cgi:10

Thanks for any help, - Dave