Ruby + Apache/Debian doesn't wanna work

maybe test with a simple dispatch.fcgi one that just prints hello? Looks like it's an apache error mostly (?) check your logs, rails logs, error logs. GL! -Roger

Heinz Strunk wrote:

Well, it all works with Webrick so I guess dispatch files are alright?

Apache access.log: 88.3.237.x - - [12/Jan/2008:19:16:42 +0100] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 500 309 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; de; rv:1.8.1.11) Gecko/20071127 Firefox/2.0.0.11" 88.3.237.x - - [12/Jan/2008:19:16:50 +0100] "GET /favicon.ico HTTP/1.1" 200 - "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; de; rv:1.8.1.11) Gecko/20071127 Firefox/2.0.0.11"

Ruby log: Recognition failed for "/" /var/www/virtual/ps-lifestyle.de/new/htdocs/public/../config/../vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/routing.rb:522:in `recognition_failed' /var/www/virtual/ps-lifestyle.de/new/htdocs/public/../config/../vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/routing.rb:512:in `recognize!' /var/www/virtual/ps-lifestyle.de/new/htdocs/public/../config/../vendor/rails/railties/lib/dispatcher.rb:38:in `dispatch' /var/www/virtual/ps-lifestyle.de/new/htdocs/public/dispatch.cgi:12

Line 12 in dispatch.cgi: Dispatcher.dispatch

Roger Pack wrote:

I created a complete new Rails application but get the same error. Anyone has a clue why this is happening?

Heinz Strunk wrote:

I created a complete new Rails application but get the same error. Anyone has a clue why this is happening?

maybe create a public/index.html ? make sure it works with just normal requests...checkout various instructions on how to set it up...

Heinz Strunk wrote:

I created a index.html with normal html-stuff inside and it was all displayed normally.

Roger Pack wrote:

Heinz Strunk wrote:

maybe create a public/index.html ? make sure it works with just normal requests...checkout various instructions on how to set it up...

lookup on google how to replace public/index.html (you set up a route for it).

Sorry but I don' really get what you mean by saying replace public/index.html. I normally delete it and that's it. Could you please explain what you mean by replacing index.html and setting up a route?

Thanks a lot.

Roger Pack wrote:

lookup on google how to replace public/index.html (you set up a route for it).

sorry. what I meant was google search for rails replace public/index.html GL!

Well, I tried the first 5 page results from Google and I'm not a bit smarter how to solve that problem. I might be too stupid or just don't get your point but thanks anyway :wink:

Roger Pack wrote:

Thanks for doing that. What you need to do is delete that file and set up a 'route' for '' a la map.connect '', :controller => 'site', :action => 'index' (from the second link). GL!

Aaaah! OK, that's what you're talking about!

Like I said it's all works when I use WEBrick so the project itself is 100% working. So the routes and everything are set prooperly.

WEBrick: Project works just fine. Apache: 500 Error.

Roger Pack wrote:

does it not throw 500 when there is a public.html? what about if you do an action/view? does webrick work when you load '/'?

Roger Pack wrote:

does it not throw 500 when there is a public.html? what about if you do an action/view? does webrick work when you load '/'?

most of my 500's from this type of thing are when a directory or file aren't chmod ag-w * (I think).

Roger Pack wrote:

most of my 500's from this type of thing are when a directory or file aren't chmod ag-w * (I think).

Thank you so much!

I did that chmod ag-w thing and changed the owner from the ftp-user (who uploaded it) to www-data and no it works all fine.

Thanks man! Cojones