effort for web address database for Ruby on Rails newcommer

I need a web MySQL data base for a non profit organisation. The aim of the organisation is to find free help for people in misery. For this purpose we want to have a MySQL web database with adresses. I'm a software developer and I have no experience with Ruby on Rails. What effort in days would you estimate if I develope the data base web clients with Ruby on Rails? What is the effort to learn Ruby on Rails.

The requirements for the database web interfaces are:

-people that seach help or offer help use the contact form our my webside for writing adresses via https in the database -the hotline staff has a web client for searching and updating the the database records -all fields and combinations of field can be searched -the web client for the hotline is password protected and the transmission is encoded -the the MySQL database will habe 2 or 3 tables. -emails are generated from the address data which is startet bei the hotline staff (2-3 different email types)

Hope someone will estimate the effort correctly.

methusalixa wrote:

I need a web MySQL data base for a non profit organisation. The aim of the organisation is to find free help for people in misery. For this purpose we want to have a MySQL web database with adresses. I'm a software developer and I have no experience with Ruby on Rails. What effort in days would you estimate if I develope the data base web clients with Ruby on Rails? What is the effort to learn Ruby on Rails.

The requirements for the database web interfaces are:

-people that seach help or offer help use the contact form our my webside for writing adresses via https in the database -the hotline staff has a web client for searching and updating the the database records -all fields and combinations of field can be searched -the web client for the hotline is password protected and the transmission is encoded -the the MySQL database will habe 2 or 3 tables. -emails are generated from the address data which is startet bei the hotline staff (2-3 different email types)

Hope someone will estimate the effort correctly.

Will you be supporting multiple languages for the user interface? Do you have a database schema and a full set of use cases (or similar)? Is use of ssl a genuine requirement. Its use will make things more complicated.

Thanks for the reply,

the application needs only one surface lanagues. My husband who does banking software, said that for my purpose I don't need much effort for encryption, https does it. There are two use cases: 1) enter address data in the database on the web page, 2) seach for adresses on password protected web client and make a contact by mail. Then update the record.

I will use MySQL and I don't have a schema yet, I will create the database with a tool.

The first table will have the fields : first name, lastname, quater, street, telefon numer, email, search for or offer, date, comment, help type

That will do for the first approach.

I will use MySQL and I don't have a schema yet, I will create the database with a tool.

You won't if you're using Rails :slight_smile:

> I need a web MySQL data base for a non profit organisation. The aim of > the organisation is to find free help for people in misery. For this > purpose we want to have a MySQL web database with adresses. I'm a > software developer and I have no experience with Ruby on Rails.

What kind of "software developer"? What /do/ you have experience with? Web app development? Other languages, frameworks?

A moderately experienced Rails developer could probably knock out that basic app -- minus any "pretty" :slight_smile: -- in a day. How long it would take *you* to learn enough to write it is impossible to say.

Thanks Hassan,

that helps a lot. I lean new programming languages very fast and I will order a Ruby on Rails book.

methusalixa wrote:

Thanks Hassan,

that helps a lot. I lean new programming languages very fast and I will order a Ruby on Rails book.

You won't if you're using Rails :slight_smile:

I need a web MySQL data base for a non profit organisation. The aim of the organisation is to find free help for people in misery. For this purpose we want to have a MySQL web database with adresses. I'm a software developer and I have no experience with Ruby on Rails.           

What kind of "software developer"? What /do/ you have experience with? Web app development? Other languages, frameworks?

A moderately experienced Rails developer could probably knock out that basic app -- minus any "pretty" :slight_smile: -- in a day. How long it would take *you* to learn enough to write it is impossible to say.

-- Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroe...@gmail.com twitter: @hassan     

I would suggest "Agile Web Development with Rails" for a book for an experienced programmer. Most experienced developers will tell you not to attempt to develop a Rails app on Windows, Linux or MacOS are the recommended platforms. Support of Rails by IDEs is spotty. Most experts will tell you that IDEs are not needed or helpful in Rails development.