Doubt on form_tag do

You aren't passing an action for the form...

<% form_tag '/controller/action' do %>

Replace "/controller/action" with the actual controller and action that will process the form data. I don't know why that would cause the text boxes not to show up, but it's still something that needs to be fixed. Try it and see if that clears up the problem.

try putting an = sign within the <% .. %> ---> <%= ... %> to allow what is enclosed to be rendered out. There is some inconsistency between form tag functions which can throw me for a loop too.

I think your problem is versions of rails.

I found with the older version of rails that I was running I had similar problems.

With Version 1.2 the accepted syntax is <%form_tag do%> blah blah <%end%>

With older versions you may have more luck with: <%=form_tag %> blah blah <%= form_tag_end %>

At least that is what I have scribbled in the margin of my AgileDevWithRails book.

Not sure if the = is required though.

Hope that helps George

Christy,

Do be careful with this as start_form_tag and end_form_tag have been depreciated and will be removed from rails 2.0 So if you are currently using an older 1.x version of Rails without support for form_tag and then at some point you (or even worse the system admins, if you don't own your own box) upgrade rails, suddenly your application may break. If none of the features/fixes in the current versions of Rails make any difference to you, you might want to consider freezing rails for your application. See http://www.paulsturgess.co.uk/articles/show/18-why-you-should-freeze-rails-on-a-shared-host-environment for more info on freezing rails.