Difference in redirect_to behaviour (Firefox, IE 7)

Hi,

Using Rails 3.0.3 on Ubuntu 10.

In my application controller I have a before filter which checks where or not a User has some comment records. If no comment records our found, a redirection is issued to the main page.

All my rspec/cucumber tests passed.

So I thought start the server and see what happens when I use Firefox (3.6) or Internet Explorer (1.7)

Scenario:

Firefox

User navigates to page (via AJAX), but has no comments controller/action with format JS is called followed by a redirect (because of the before_filter) redirected to main page with format HTML (not expecting this, wrong behaviour)

Internet Explorer

User navigates to page (via AJAX), but has no comments controller/action with format JS is called followed by a redirect (because of the before_filter) redirected to main page with format JS (expecting this, correct behaviour)

Differences with behaviour between browsers is often caused by invalid html. Check the full page source by using View > Page source (or similar ) in the browser and pasting it into the w3c html validator.

If that is ok have a look in the log to see what differences there are.

Colin

Well the HTML is valid (checked with w3c html validator as you mentioned) and the scenario outline are an excerpt from the Rails log.

Via google I noticed two people mentioning the same "problem" but alas no solution. A fix was mentioned to set the request.env to js when redirecting or use the :format => "js" in the redirect call.

Will test on a different platform and more browsers and report back.

Thanks for your help