Did DHH have a suit on?

So I'm wondering about the origin of "ActiveRecord" and "ActionPack" and the like in Rails.

I've always thought that perhaps DHH found himself in a suit one day (maybe he had to attend a friend's wedding or something), and as long as he had the suit on, decided to lapse into a one of the barely lucid frenzies that Marketing people are prone to when naming something.

Then today I was reading about Flex on Rails, and find that Flex is based on something called "ActiveScript".

This has me wondering, is there some well-spring of this "Active" nonsense somewhere in the annals of development that I happened to have missed? Maybe it came from Java land or something (I was lost in C and C++ land during the entire decade of the 90's, so I totally missed all that Java stuff).

So, help me out. Why all this "Active" stuff in the naming of present day development environments?

thanks, jp

Start you journey here:

http://martinfowler.com/eaaCatalog/activeRecord.html

Do you have a better suggestion?

activestate.com ? activerain.com ? ActionScript for OSX

Many sites/technologies relating to “active”. Never heard of any pattern or whatnot that really pre-dated rails that might influence the choice.

Nathaniel Brown wrote:

activestate.com <http://activestate.com> ? activerain.com <http://activerain.com> ? ActionScript for OSX

Many sites/technologies relating to "active". Never heard of any pattern or whatnot that really pre-dated rails that might influence the choice.

Lionel

Uh, actually, it's "ActionScript" :slight_smile:

FWIW,

Nicholas Henry wrote:

Start you journey here:

P of EAA: Active Record

On Dec 31, 10:50 pm, Jeff Pritchard <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>

OK, from what I see in the replies so far, it would seem that ActiveRecord owes its name to the design pattern of the same name, so perhaps it was not DHH who found himself in a suit one day.

Did most of the other many uses of the root word "action" in naming things in development environments arise from a contagion of this one pattern name?

This only seems odd to me based on my belief that most engineers would have named "ActionController" simply "Controller" or "ControllerBase". Perhaps during the twenty plus years I've been an Engineer the self-imposed class structure separating Engineers and "Marketing people" has narrowed. Seems to me that "marketing guy-ish" naming of things has made its way much deeper into the strata of development than it once did. Maybe this is a side effect of the increasing number of "Startups", with Coders running their own small companies and wearing many hats.

Not even vaguely important. Just an idle curiosity that traipsed across my consciousness. Thanks for indulging me.

cheers, jp

ActiveX started it all, I think.

///ark

20 years ago I'll bet you called yourself a programmer. But engineer is more marketable.

Twenty years ago, my IBM business card carried the title of "Smalltalk Guru"

George Bailey wrote:

Actually, I just realized that I misremembered.

My business card said "Smalltalk Wizard".

My old friend the late great David N. Smith had the IBM business card which said "Smalltalk Guru".

I can't honestly recall which of us had the first of these.

I call myself a programmer. My mental image of an engineer is someone in a hard hat with a spanner in their hand.

Yeah, when people asked what my major was, I'd say "Computer (wooo-ooo woooooo) Engineer" (I hope I spelled the sound a locomotive horn makes right.)

///ark

20 years ago, I called myself a sophomore! ::gdr::

I suspect ActionController is aptly name as it executes actions; i.e. the params passed to a controller are :controller => Person, :action => index.

20 years ago I was 1 month old.

I remember noticing this, and I remember reading somewhere (on the Internet, so it must be true) that it's something of a coincidence.

ActiveRecord, as others have said, is based on the ActiveRecord pattern.

ActionPack (which I suspect, with no evidence, may have been originally just one thing and then later split into ActionController and ActionView) is, well, a pack of routines that deal with actions (as in MVC controller actions).

Ditto ActionWebService. And I imagine, at that point, you just start naming everything with A.

We do go through fun naming trends, memes and snowclones in programming. There was a while at AOL where everything was this-man and that-man (short for manager); naturally this ended up at RAINMAN. Microsoft, as someone else pointed out, went both ActiveCrazy and X-Crazy for a while with ActiveX. Apple had MacEverything. UNIX has all sorts of memes and snowclones: recursive acronyms, animals, etc.

When I was fighting spam, we already had SpamJammer, and needed a server to cancel the accounts of spammers; SpamHammer was a natural. Then we needed something to deal with large floods, so of course that beget SpamDammer. Then I started working on a DSL (though I'd never heard the term) specifically for the postmaster group. Naturally, it had to be called SpamGrammar.

Naming stuff is fun.

We do go through fun naming trends, memes and snowclones in programming.

Witness Ruby plugins:

with_derivative simply_repetitive acts_as_cliche

Apple had MacEverything.

iThink they've moved on from that.

-faisal

Oops, seems I learned from a different source than you… http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3642221

There is an actionScript too though! :slight_smile: