DEPRECATION WARNING: Passing a template handler in the template name is deprecated. (rspec + haml)

I upgraded a small project that I had created on 3.1.3 to 3.2.0.rc2.

Running rspec on it brings about a large amount of these messages:

DEPRECATION WARNING: Passing a template handler in the template name is deprecated. You can simply remove the handler name or pass render :handlers => [:haml] instead. (called from block (2 levels) in <top (required)> at /home/peterv/data/backed_up/projects/code/contact_app/spec/views/contacts/new.html.haml_spec.rb:12) .

The offending code seems to be:

spec/views/contacts$ cat -n new.html.haml_spec.rb 1 require ‘spec_helper’ 2
3 describe “contacts/new.html.haml” do 4 before(:each) do 5 assign(:contact, stub_model(Contact, 6 :email => “MyString”, 7 :person_id => 1 8 ).as_new_record) 9 end 10
11 it “renders new contact form” do 12 render ####### this render seems to trigger it 13
14 # Run the generator again with the --webrat flag if you want to use webrat matchers 15 assert_select “form”, :action => contacts_path, :method => “post” do 16 assert_select “input#contact_email”, :name => “contact[email]” 17 assert_select “input#contact_person_id”, :name => “contact[person_id]” 18 end 19 end 20 end

These are the view files (with .haml extensions)

app/views/contacts$ ls -l total 20 -rw-rw-r-- 1 peterv peterv 100 2012-01-15 20:12 edit.html.haml -rw-rw-r-- 1 peterv peterv 416 2012-01-15 20:12 _form.html.haml -rw-rw-r-- 1 peterv peterv 404 2012-01-15 20:12 index.html.haml -rw-rw-r-- 1 peterv peterv 66 2012-01-15 20:12 new.html.haml -rw-rw-r-- 1 peterv peterv 171 2012-01-15 20:12 show.html.haml

app/views/contacts$ cat -n new.html.haml 1 %h1 New contact 2
3 = render ‘form’ 4
5 = link_to ‘Back’, contacts_path

I just did a bundle update a few hours ago. I show the Gemfile and Gemfile.lock below.

I presume this is associated with this commit

https://github.com/rails/rails/commit/43d27e9105b385f64ec195f60d10ab3d64281bd4

Is there a way I can fix this myself? I do not really understand what the problem and the proposed solution is …

Thanks,

Peter

Does it go away if you change this to "contacts/new.html"?

--Matt Jones

Thanks for the accurate reply :slight_smile:

With the change you suggested, I still get a deprecation (but it already changed)

$ rspec spec/views/contacts/new.html.haml_spec.rb

DEPRECATION WARNING: Passing the format in the template name is deprecated. Please pass render with :formats => [:html] instead. (called from block (2 levels) in <top (required)> at /home/peterv/data/backed_up/customers/DDS/contact_app/spec/views/contacts/new.html.haml_spec.rb:12)

So, I went 1 step further, and moved to this:

-describe “contacts/new.html.haml” do

+describe “contacts/new” do

And now the result is OK:

contact_app$ rspec spec/views/contacts/new.html.haml_spec.rb

Finished in 0.18224 seconds

1 example, 0 failures

I assume it was clear that this is all “auto-generated” test code by rspec

initializer (that was 2.7 if I see correctly).

Now with rspec 2.8.x I added a new resource (foo), and I see that rspec

does it the correct way:

describe “foos/new” do

So, I presume this also shows the way towards the solution.

I now replaced all occurences of this {new|edit|index|show}.html.haml

into {new|edit|index|show} and all the deprecations are gone and all

tests remain green.

This is fixed in rspec 2.8 , I believe with this commit:

https://github.com/rspec/rspec-rails/commit/1ccb17cfea27fe189c97cb88619b236e851b6fb9

I presume other users that have autogenerated rspec scaffold

tests will be hit by this? Anything can be done there (I asked the question as

a comment on that patch on Github).

Thanks again,

Peter